Altbier recepie help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse93

Reaction score
So, my water calls for amber colored beers. I am a pretty new brewer and I've heard that Altbiers are pretty easy to brew. I'm looking towards a more balanced altbier, not a bitter one. I will use Southern Cross Hops because I have them in my freezer (also have some Dr. Rudi if they are better... :) )
Help is much appreciated.

altbier (2).PNG

I would recommend using an alt or kolsch strain and not nottingham. Fermented @ 60 nottingham will be lager like but so will the genuine german ale strains. If you can ferment at about 54F for day one and ramp up to 60F 2 degrees a day. Hold that for about two weeks then cold crash or lager and you're done.

EDIT

Im also not a fan of using malts for coloring. I would rather reduce the pilsner to like 25% and add some dark munich in there with more light munich also.

If your water is going to give you a good mash ph, leave out the gypsum and the salt. "a half a teaspoon of gypsum" is a dubious instruction, unless you put it there for good reason ( i dont know your water, but i wouldnt go sulfate heavy over chlorides).

Alts are a wide style , but id disagee with the above. I prefer alts with less munich malt and more pils. Debittered dark malt like midnight wheat is fine for color correction. But i prefer a crisper alt. Some prefer a almost all munich malt alt, that ends up more munich dunkel-y.

Yeah, an alt strain such as 1007, would be better if you can use liquid yeast.

Some suggestions

Water additions.
Make none without knowing what your starting point is.

Adding random salts is a very very bad idea.

Yeast
Nottingham = Not an Altbier
WLP036 is a good choice.
WLP029 would be my second choice.

Fermentation temperatures
Mid to high 50's is not a bd idea with an Alt yeast

Hops
Use Spalter (Very distinctive flavor and typical of the style)

Here is my Altbier recipe if you want to read more.

Altbier. Yum
attachment.php

Hi guys and thanks for your replies.
The water I have lacks a bit of both calcium and sulphates, there's where the gypsum comes in. I tried brewing a beer with 2 teaspoons of gypsum, it came out WAY to bitter. If I use 0.5tsp it becomes quite balanced, it just enhances the hops a bit. Salt (NaCl) just makes the beer sweeter, which I guess is OK in this case. I checked the adjusted water profile in brewers friend and using NaCl it gives me a balance between maltiness and bitterness, rather than highly bitter.

I'll consider another yeast strain :)

Back