Altbier dryhop? What do you guys think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieselboy

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just need some opinions on dry hopping. I am attempting to make a copper ale. (Similar to Otter Creek possibly) Recipe is as follows:

1/2 lb 80L crystal
1/2 lb munich
1 oz. roasted barley
1 oz. chocolate malt All steeped at 150 for 25 min.

6 lbs Light DME 1/2 at 60min, 1/2 at 15min (late addition)
4 oz. Maltodextrin 15 min

1/2 oz Chinook 11.7% 60 min
1/2 oz Hallertau 4.3% 15 min
1/2 oz Tettanager 3.7% 3 min
Whirlfloc @ 10 Min.

Wyeast 1007 German Ale

I was thinking of dryhopping with the Tettanager, maybe a 1/2 oz? How long should I leave them in there? They are pellets so should I put them in some sort of hop bag? Will this give more aroma? Also any comments on this beer recipe are welcome as well. :mug:

It's all about your hop preference. One thing I've done before dry hopping with certain hops is to make a hop tea or just a hops and water solution. Just to test it out. There are many threads on hop teas. This gives you an idea of the aroma it will produce, only bad part is you wont get an idea on the little bit of flavor it may add.
The recipe looks like a good one to dry hop. I use sanitized muslin bags for pellets and throw whole leaf right in when racking. Pale chocolate malt may be a better option for the color and taste you want.

I've had a bunch of altbier in Dusseldorf Germany and they don't dryhop there. But it's your beer, give it a go. I've got two carboys finishing up right now (of altbier), maybe I'll dryhop one of them. Good idea!

BTW, I think chinook is way wrong for an altbier if it produces that piney aroma. If you don't care about brewing to style, then that's cool. Just thought I should point this out. Might have trouble in comps.

Thanks for the help! Its already in the fermenter. But
I will definatly be trying the hop tea to try to pick out which one ill use. Thanks! Also What would you have used in place of the chinook?

Edit: I have some Saaz that I might use to dryhop! Does using 4 types of hops in one beer break any laws?

Back