Almost perfect brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulgs3

Reaction score
Yesterday was a perfect day, 88 degree sunny clear skies, first 10 AG batch using new kettle, new CFC and chugger pump set up. I've been running it through tests all week waiting for this day and not a drop of wort escaped through a leak in the system.

My mash temp was dead on, my pre-boil volumes and OG were a home run. Ran the calculations through Beer Smith and I scored an 84 efficiency on the AG Apocalypso recipe. Whirlpooled with the pump for awhile and got crystal clear beer in my carboys.

I wanted to experiment, and see the difference side by side between 1272 and Notty. Labeled each carboy and added the yeast, finished the day on some succulent T bones that were just delicious. Red meat and good beer, loving life! Perfect end of day.

I woke up turn the coffee maker on, let the dogs out and wander down to my fermentation chamber, open the lid and I see.... not a sign of fermentation on either carboy.

I *thought* I aerated pretty well, I had the pump going full bore re-circ above the wort surface for a good 30 minutes, plus I manually whirlpooled while I got my charcoal going on the grill. I normally transfer from bucket to carboy a few times, but this time I did not because I *assumed* the whirl pooling effect would replace it. I was wrong.

I went ahead and ordered a aeration system, I have a feeling that I could probably just make the stupid thing for half the cost... I'm kind of depressed that I stalled an otherwise perfect brew day.

So heres to hoping the yeasties will chug through this like good fellas and in 4 weeks time I will have two kegs of Apocalypso. I'm not giving up on the little fellas, but I may have to call in reinforcements with some reserve S-05 and ruin my experiment since the LHBS is closed until Tuesday.

Notty can slow start, it'll be fine assuming you pitched enough (a whole pack should be fine).

Unless you made starters for them or rehydrated properly, it'll take a while. I bet by tonight it'll be going nicely.

I've had beers that turned out great take almost 48 hours to start showing any noticeable signs of fermentation

Its going finally, and I'm happy, the notty is having an orgy! 1272 is lagging but he will catch up.

I was tempted to raise the temp to 65 and I'm glad I didn't, still at 62.

Back