All Stainless Corny CIP System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bemerritt

Reaction score
When looking into making a CIP system, it didn't seem like there was a tried and true way of going about it. Hopefully this post can guide some in the future and also serve as a thanks for (once again) all of the ideas I have gathered from this site. I might add a tri-clamp connection to make it easier to connect to my conical, but other than that, I am very happy with the result.

Parts:
-Stainless pump from Harbor freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-horsepower-submersible-dirty-water-pump-with-float-69300.html)
-1/2" to 1 1/2" npt reducer
-1/2" npt 4 way connector
-1/2" npt coupler
-1' of stainless pipe with 1/2" npt threads on end
-2 x 1/2" npt with hose barbs
-tubing
-ball lock connections
-CIP spray ball from brewers hardware with 1/2" npt
-5 gallon bucket

The big part to get hung up on is the pump. None of them are rated for 140* water until you get into the big bucks. This one is $60 and I'll see how long it handles the high temps, but for now it works great.

Here are some pics of it in action:

14333703287_a15d93ca37_c.jpg

14519088322_982147a6b2_c.jpg

14333558589_c00ff730d6_c.jpg

14333499160_4a4f77c3c6_c.jpg

14497053366_09a1e34f24_c.jpg

14518731974_e63fb456e4_c.jpg

It was a breeze to clean and sanitize four kegs last night. I did the following:
1. 140* oxyclean
2. 140* water rinse
3. 70* water rinse
4. 70* sanitizer

any thoughts on how to keep the oxyclean foam down?

Obviously it all being stainless increased the price, but it will last forever and I feel good about putting and cleaner products through it. That and I'm obsessed with stainless (like many of you).

The kegs balance perfectly on the handle of the pump and the rim of the bucket, so no top needed and I like the simplicity of it.

One last thing, the pump does have a float switch. Last night I plugged the pump into a spare receptacle on one of my control panels and turned it on and off that way while keeping the float switch continuously closed. In the future I might try and take the pump apart and bypass the float switch so it is always on if plugged in.

As always, let me know if you have any questions or ideas to make this design better!

I like it!
Just wedge the float switch in it's "floated" position.

Edit: You are using the correct mix ratio on the Oxyclean, yes?
I know it's an added cost, but Five Star Chemicals carries some low foaming cleaners and sanitizers.

Seeing as I usually eyeball the mix, I'm sure I can have some improvement. What ratio do you recommend?

I use the five star low foam sanitizer and get decent results with that.

I believe that I've read, one "scoop" per 5 gallons of water, as that's what I use for "manual" cleaning.

"Eyeball" it back a little!

I think the above mentioned is on the side of the tub of my oxygenated cleaner.
I use the "Family Dollar Store" brand.

I recently acquired a "take out" dishwasher that I plan to re-purpose as a keg and carboy washer, and the foaming issues came to mind as well.

I'm glad I stumbled upon this. I'm about to get 1 BBL setup from stout tank and I have been looking into a good procedure for cleaning the equipment after brewing and also a less labor intensive way of cleaning cornies once I kick up my production. I was going to use the following procedure for cleaning my system after brewing. Could I use the same procedure with a cleaner set up like this?

1. Hot water rinse
2. Flush/Circulate with a 4% Food Grade Sodium Hydroxide (caustic) solution at 140 degrees
3. Hot water rinse
4. Flush/Circulate with a 2% Food Grade citric acid solution at 140 degrees
5. Hot water rinse
6. Sanitize with sanstar.

No reason why it shouldn't work. Not sure if you need such an aggressive cleaning schedule for the pots after every use, but it can't hurt.

How has the pump held up? Thinking about building this exact same thing.

Wow, 1 year has passed and my cleaning remains to be easy.

Pump is still chugging along. Use this to clean my 20 gallon conical, 5 gallon ball locks and connect it to my plate chiller occasionally to really clean it out.

I generally do a hot PBW, hot rinse, cold rinse, then sanitizer. Would buy the pump again.

good to know, I bought the high pressure, low flow pump from HF... I guess the wrong one.

I will try this one... The cool water rating worries me a bit but sounds like it holds up ok. I have heard of grease coating on brewery parts with a seal failing :/

If anyone has this pump it claims a 26" lift. Will it reach the top of a conical? its probably 3-4 feet up it needs to pump

I bought the same pump as OP and I don't think it would be a problem to reach 3-4 feet at all.

...If anyone has this pump it claims a 26" lift. Will it reach the top of a conical? its probably 3-4 feet up it needs to pump

Unless they changed the description yesterday, the page says it has a max head of 26' (foot) :D

You are correct I completely read that wrong yesterday it is 2016 and I was no longer worried about it after finding that out. Originally I thought it was inches

I just ordered the parts for this, I can't wait to get it going. I am curious to how you clean your conical with it, do you have any pictures?
Thanks, Richard

No pictures, and I have currently sold off all of my brewing stuff, but basically i added a tri clamp fitting that let me either connect the corny cleaning apparatus, or to tubing that attached to a sprayball mounted in the conical

randomly saw your pix. heres mine

Attachments

• 26CE4C70-2B68-4A68-A3D4-D40F66886BD6.jpeg
    26CE4C70-2B68-4A68-A3D4-D40F66886BD6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • F12842D6-B859-488D-8111-CA3549CF2A40.jpeg
    F12842D6-B859-488D-8111-CA3549CF2A40.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Back