All right, so what's the difference in these posts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phidelt844

Reaction score
Total noob question, I'm sure. I purchased the 2 keg setup from Midwest. I'm just sitting down to clean the kegs (and fill one!) and noticed that the posts are different... They are both cornelius kegs. One of the kegs has straight cylindrical posts with equal sized nuts:

DSCF00162.JPG

The other has 2 different sized nuts. One nut has numerous "teeth" on it (pictured below), and the other still has 6 sides but is larger than the other keg's nuts, about the size of the teethy one below. BUT the biggest difference to me is the base of the actual posts... The top keg is a straight cylinder, but the one pictured below widens out at the bottom.

DSCF00151.JPG

I'm sure I can get around the nut sizes for cleaning this round, but when it comes time to order any new parts, will I need to be wary of this? Or am I just overreacting... :eek:

There are two different common sizes for the posts, and it looks like you got one of each. Just make sure you have the right 12 pointed socket for your socket wrench - it should fit the larger 6 sided one as well.

If both of the larger ones are on your gas posts (I think the 12 sided ones are usually for gas anyway) it will help prevent you from screwing that up - it is a big pain to get the gas disconnect off of a liquid post because the liquid post is slightly bigger.

Like gabeweisz says, one if for beer out and the other is for gas in. The 12 sided is gas always. I wish all my kegs had that one as it helps tell them apart.

7/8 deep socket, or 11/16 socket works (Depending on the post). Most of mine are 7/8, but I have one or two out of my 8 kegs that need the 11/16.

Lowe's has 3/8" drive deep 12-point sockets in 11/16 and 7/8 for less than $5 a piece. They aren't as easy to find as I figured! They also have 1/2" drive in the same 12-point sizes, but the price is nearly doubled. Like the previous posters, most of my kegs are 7/8 but a few are 11/16. The gas posts (if not 12-sided) have little horizontal cuts in the base of the posts to differentiate them.

I had the same trouble with this, this morning. My tool collection seems to be missing a 12-pointed, 7/8" deep socket. A pair of large vise-grips works to get it off (used carefully). Hopefully I can get it tight enough with them too until I can get the right socket.

Lowe's has 3/8" drive deep 12-point sockets in 11/16 and 7/8 for less than $5 a piece. They aren't as easy to find as I figured! They also have 1/2" drive in the same 12-point sizes, but the price is nearly doubled. Like the previous posters, most of my kegs are 7/8 but a few are 11/16. The gas posts (if not 12-sided) have little horizontal cuts in the base of the posts to differentiate them.

+1- I got a 7/8 and 11/16 JUST for my cornies (mine weren't quite deep enough) from Lowes fairly cheap, and my gas post do have notches. It shouldn't matter, but I try to keep my poppets with the same posts, just to be on the safe side...

Back