All Pints as good as my last 3 pints

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roddog

Reaction score
OK, the last few pints of any corny are THE BEST. How can we make all the pints taste like the last one? I've seen some floating keg inlet, I've cold crashed for way beyond hop persistence, etc. Anyone else see this phenomenon?

How quickly are you drinking out of that keg? Most beer, in my experience, needs a period of conditioning to reach maximum flavors.

I have a Rye beer I brewed 15 days ago. I kegged it after 5 1/2 days in the fermenter; I'm partially carbing it in the fermenter, so it was about 7psi when I transferred it.

I tasted it after 8 days total. Some rye flavor, but nothing about it that was worthwhile at that point.

I had a little last night again, after 15 days from brewing, and wowee! It's gotten just about to where I want it to be, though I feel just a little more conditioning will help--maybe a total of 3 weeks, maybe 3.5 weeks. I'm not drinking it now because I want it to condition before I start draining the keg.

I kegged a hazy ipa yesterday. Doesn't taste all that great yet, though it's not terrible. It's 7 days old, kegged it because I dry hopped and it had been 5 days and I wanted to get the beer off the hops.

I'm letting it sit. I'll try it again this coming weekend, see what's up with it. I expect the flavors to smooth out and be much better. Might be necessary to go three weeks, we'll see.

I am the sole drinker on the kegs in my home most of the time so these corny's are hanging around for a while. It may be that in the last few pints, I'm getting to the super clear, all the stuff has dropped out, section of the keg. I usually cold crash for a few days (32F) before kegging, I use whirlflock religiously, and when doing stuff that needs to be really 'clear' I also use gelatin. It is just that I can totally tell (male intuition or zymurgic spider senses or whatever) when I'm in the last few pings of a keg in the keggerartor because it is a bit clearer on the palette.

Maybe I need to build up a larger stockpile of kegs waiting in rotation so that they are all in this "dropped clear to the end" position. I saw somewhere a 'floating' intake for corny's... Anyone try these?

Back