All-grain yeast starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carne de Perro

Reaction score
I was browsing the BYO website and found a blog entry from the editor mentioning all-grain starters. Anybody ever do this? I haven't gotten to the all-grain stage yet (fiscal reality again $*@* it) but I do partials and this intrigued me, particularly as it'd be a heckuve a lot cheaper than DME.

The simplest way is to save a few pints of the last batch. Jar it hot in pint canning jars and refrigerate when cool.

The way it sounded, the guy did a small mash, boiled he wort w/hops, cooled and pitched to make a starter. Just a mini mash as opposed to using previously stored wort or DME. It'd take longer but wouldn't it be healthier for the yeast? (And cheaper) I don't can wort myself as I don't have a pressure canner, I keep DME around for starters. I know a lot of folks keep wort in the fridge for starters and that's fine, I just don't brew often enough to use that method.

I don't think I would do a mash just for some starter wort! I don't save wort for starters, but I think it's a great idea. I find mixing up 3oz DME / quart of water is the simplest and fastest way in my case, and since we're just trying to grow yeast I don't think the method of getting that wort has any impact on the final product.

He (BYO's editor Chris Colby) was doing an article on partial mashing and didn't want to waste the wort he was producing. I agree that it's more work, but it piqued my interest, might try it next time. (Usually go DME, tried Malta Goya once, never again.)

I'm with the barron here. Unless I get more wort that I need for a brew out of my mash, I'll continue with the DME. Chances of me having too much wort are akin to me having too much money.

Back