All Grain Tripel - Look okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgerard

Reaction score
My brother and I will be brewing our first batch together tomorrow and I am going to show him how I BIAB. We have decided to try out a Belgian Tripel.

How does this look for a 2.25 gallon batch?
5 lbs Belgian Pilsner
1 lbs cane sugar
4 oz munich 10 (or light munich)

1 oz saaz for 60 minutes
.25 oz saaz for 30 minutes

trappist ale yeast

I am debating doing .5 oz @ 30 instead of .25.
Also what temp should we mash at? I usually just do 150-155dF for 60 /w a mash out of 170.

Thanks!

I think upping the 30 minute addition could get a bit too strong; if you want to add more hop characteristic, you could drop an extra .25oz in closer to flameout and have a milder tweak to bitterness.

I'd shoot for a mash temp around 152F; mashout sounds fine, just make sure you don't bring it above 170F. Anywhere in the 165F+ range will work. As far as Belgians go, I'd suggest focusing on your fermentation temp, as they can get pretty estery really fast. Unless you have a chill chamber already, anyway :).

Mash for 90 min @ 151
Boil for 90 min

That belgian Pilsener malt is DMS- heavy. Gotta make sure you're getting full conversion, too with a lower mash temp.

I made a 100% base malt tripel with 15 lbs of malt and 2 lbs of candi sugar.

I highly suggest you make your own-- it's really freakin' simple!

Hops look great. Saaz is a wonderful hop. Maybe .25 oz of Tettnang at boil-out for a slight musk to compliment the belgian brightness.

Awesome thank you! The saaz we picked up are only 2.8% aa are we still okay with the amounts listed?

You can go up to 3 oz Saaz in for bittering for a Tripel. Even though I like my tripels nice and crisp and yeast-forward, I do enjoy the aroma of noble hops.

You can go up to 3 oz Saaz in for bittering for a Tripel.

It's a small batch.;)

But yeah, my previous Tripel had around 37 IBU by Rager, and it wasn't enough. We'll see if the 63 in my current batch is better around the end of September. Most of the hop character and bitterness in a Tripel will fade away by the time it's ready, especially if you're bottle conditioning.

With 2.8% hops, I'd use a little high-alpha bittering charge too. I used Northern Brewer. Magnum would work well too.

I add the sugar to the fermenter as a simple syrup, but in the kettle is fine.

I'd second adding sugar to the bucket after fermentation slows. No sense stressing the yeast more than necessary early on, unless you really want those esters.

The corgi in the tux and angry guy in the camera speak true. Make some belgian candi syrup! (It's really, really simple)

Back