All Grain Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaserz28

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am somewhat new to all grain brewing and I just made a Pumpkin Ale. I made it with 4 pounds of pumpkin puree, I just racked it into my conditioner and out of the 5 1/2 gallons that I had in my fermenter, I got just maybe 3 or 4 gallons out of it, below that it was all sediment.

Would it be better to use whole roasted pieces of pumpkin? would you get the same taste profile from doing it that way instead of a Puree? Any help would be great!

Thank you

Chaserz28 said:
Hi All,
I am somewhat new to all grain brewing and I just made a Pumpkin Ale. I made it with 4 pounds of pumpkin puree, I just racked it into my conditioner and out of the 5 1/2 gallons that I had in my fermenter, I got just maybe 3 or 4 gallons out of it, below that it was all sediment.

Would it be better to use whole roasted pieces of pumpkin? would you get the same taste profile from doing it that way instead of a Puree? Any help would be great!

Thank you

Did u do the pumpkin in the boil or mash?

How long was it in your primary for? I had about 1/2 gallon of trub on the first day, and i used 3 1/2 lbs of Puree, but within a few days it was compacted down to not much at all...I just cant see how you can lose 2 gallons to puree unless you racked off of the primary before everything settled? But that wouldnt make sense either lol...

I put the Pumpkin in the boil, maybe that was my mistake. I let the wort ferment in the primary for about 10 days before I racked it into my secondary.

Thank you for your replies!

Back