All grain - keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crafyloyal85

Reaction score
What is the best way to remove grains after mashing from a keggle I had a hard time my first time around. The keggle top is not completely cut out so I can't lay it on its side and take out the grains. Any advice would be appreciated.

I just flip mine over and they all fall out. Then hose it out. I take my false bottom out to clean.

Generally you need to let it cool before handling.

I use this:

c65b3124-b7fb-4121-93aa-ce5ab86d9072_400.jpg

Once I'm done sparging and I've started boiling, I drain any remaining liquid out of the MLT, then scoop out as much grain as possible. It goes into a bucket that gets carried out to the compost pile. There's always a little left, but a small enough amount that I take down the MLT and hose it out in a utility sink, dissassembling the false bottom and washing out the thermowell and valves. Its flexible enough to kind of bend into the corners, and its only a buck so easy to replace if it breaks (although I've been using it for a year or two and haven't broken one yet).

What is the best way to remove grains after mashing from a keggle .

I would consider cutting the entire top off the keggle to make it more kettle shaped.

There are ways to do this and still leave the handles, or some have even added other type handles.

Keggles are a tough shape, and not my favorite choice for a brew kettle or mash tun for this reason.

Jmo

What is the best way to remove grains after mashing from a keggle .

I would consider cutting the entire top off the keggle to make it more kettle shaped.

There are ways to do this and still leave the handles, or some have even added other type handles.

Keggles with the smaller top opening are a tough shape, and are not my favorite choice for a brew kettle or mash tun.

Jmo

I just use a 2Cup plastic measuring cup. Once most of it is out, the hose can spray the rest out. Clean off the FB and tubing... All done before the wort is even to a boil.

Back