All Grain # keg setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandRiverZip

Reaction score
I have accessed the kegs to setup a 3 keg brewery. I am gathering the parts to get it up and running.

I am not sure about a few things I need advice on. The Mash Tun...
Should I buy a false bottom for the Sanke? If so, 11, 12, 15 inch? Flat, Domed?
Or should I build a copper manifold for the bottom? There seems to be both that work well.

Does it depend on how I sparge? I don't know which I will do. Fly or Batch? Advice?

Then the 1, 2, or 3 tier debate starts. With the brewery setup, I don't want to add the expense of the pumps yet. So I imagine I'll figure it out as I go.

My buddy will be cutting the tops and welding in the couplings next week once they arrive. Should have it together sometime in April.... Any advice greatly appreciated.....

Dan

If you plan on direct firing your Mash Tun then you will need a full 15 inch false bottom...otherwise a smaller one will work.

No pump means you will need a 3 tier gravity system...Pumps are not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, IMO..JJ

Just like everything else, you ask 10 homebrewers the same question, you'll get 11 answers...lol

I don't really have any good advice on the false bottom issue. I would say search around and find out what might work and fit your budget. FWIW I use a cooler mash tun with a SS braid and it works for me. I also batch sparge.

Are you planning on a recirculating mash system (RIMS, HERMS...)? Making that choice will narrow down your mash tun options - as well as the layout of the brewery itself.

Have you brewed an all grain batch before? If so, did you batch or fly sparge? Did that work for you?

If you have done AG and, say, batch sparged. And it worked for you. It may be worth sticking to what you know and concentrating on mastering that technique. You can make great beer with either method.

I haven't brewed any all grain. I have a buddy that brews batch sparge, and he brewed one while I was extract brewing, so I have a basic idea, but not much more.

I really don't think I'll end up heating the MT. If I wrap a water heater blanket around it, it should maintain enough temp. 2 pumps is a pretty big investment in my world....

I don't know nuthin about all grain, so the RIMS, HERMS question is lost on me. I'll go do some reading.....

Thanks for the help though, I gotta figure it out.

Dan

I am currently building a HERMS rig, hope to finish it later this summer as time permits. If you don't/can't go for the expense of pumps then you will need to do a 3 tier system and let gravity more liquid for you. I would also suggest getting a good cooler and doing batch sparges, it will be far easier to set up. As far as false bottoms, I will let those more in the know of this set-up help you with that decision. Hope all goes well for you and let us know how it works out.

+1 to getting the 15" false bottom if you direct-fire the mash tun.

And I want to put in a HUGE recommendation for building a two tier system with a pump. I finally broke down and got a pump a few months ago and I cannot tell you how much MORE I enjoy it than I thought I would. It is one of the most useful tools in my brewery.

+1 to getting the 15" false bottom if you direct-fire the mash tun.

And I want to put in a HUGE recommendation for building a two tier system with a pump. I finally broke down and got a pump a few months ago and I cannot tell you how much MORE I enjoy it than I thought I would. It is one of the most useful tools in my brewery.

Kanzimonson, I just got a pump and am looking to move from three to two tier and reduce lifting and height. What does your set-up look like? have a pic? where do you have the pump from/two HLT to MLT? Cheers.

On the OP, I use a 10 gallon converted round cooler. Tried the mesh braid build but it failed and gave me a stuck sparge so I ripped it out and put in a kettle screen (used to be called bazooka screen) and that works a charm. I batch sparge. Although SS braid has worked well for a lot of people here so do what works for you.

Cheers

It just so happens that I'm in the middle of rebuilding and upgrading my setup:

stand1.jpg

stand2.jpg

I haven't plumbed the gas lines yet. It stands 2' off the ground, and then the second tier is 2' above that (just barely taller than a keggle).

The pump will go between the two lower sections, but the outlet hose is long enough that it could empty into anything I put on the upper tier.

I actually sawed the pieces with a hacksaw because I didn't want to buy a sawblade that would cut steel. It was surprisingly easier than I expected. You'll see that everything is nuts and bolts - no welding for me. It's very sturdy, especially when you add in some diagonal pieces.

I was inspired by Benji at Boathouse Brewery: http://www.boathousebrewery.com/gallery_brewery.html

Back