All grain in my future!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
Yup so I finally decided to get off my arse and upgrade the brewery to all-grain! My goal is to be doing 5-10 gallon AG batches by the end of the year. I'm in the process of making my parts list and I have a few things I wanna run by you guys.

I'm looking at building a poor mans setup. I already own a 32 quart pot. A turkey fryer burner, 2 propane tanks. I recently added a ball valve to my brew pot. Here is a pic.

So I was figuring I could use this pot as my hot water tank, then all I need is a MLT and another burner and pot. So I could just pick up another turkey fryer setup this thanksgiving and I'll be set. :mug:

MLT-I'll definitely be building my own from ideas on this site. My issue right now is which type to build. Round rubbermaid cooler type or Igloo ice chest type. My concern is grain depth and ease of use. I also would like to be able to do 5 & 10 gallon batches in the same vessel. I'd like to hear from people with both types. Pros/cons? Also any and all pics of your DYS MLT's I'd love to see! Any changes or cool ideas you've added to them as well!.....and yes I plan to steal all the good ideas! :D

Also any other ideas or suggestions you guys have for me I'd really appreciate. Any time saving tips or anything that you think I'll need in addition to the stuff I've listed.

Cheers,

There's plenty of good DIY MLT designs on here. Just do a search. Most involve a SS braid or copper manifold.

You mentioned doing 10 gal batches. Did you have a plan for a bigger kettle, or just to do split boils with the 2 turkey fryers? If you're doing the split boil thing, you'll have to heat the sparge water in both pots, too. One won't hold enough by itself.

You'll also need a good wort chiller if you don't already have one.

To do a 10-gallon batch, you’ll need the capacity to boil 13+ gallons of wort.

I use a 10-gallon Rubbermaid Mash Tun and can get as much as 26#’s of grain with no issues.

10Gallon_Setup.JPG

If you go with a basic copper manifold, you can interchange between a 5-gallon Rubbermaid (5-gallon batches) and a 10-gallon Rubbermaid (10-gallon batches) very easily.

Manifold_Unfiltered.JPG

I use my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer as my hot-water kettle.

BrewPot.JPG

I have a 15.5 keggle for my brew pot.

Keggle_4.JPG

If you decide to stick with 5-galon batches, your turkey fryer and a 5-gallon Rubbermaid are plenty big enough. If you upgrade, you can put these items to use doing something else so they won’t go to waste.

InsideSetupA.jpg

LOL too funny! Great pics though Bier! yeah I'll be limited to 5 gallon batches for a bit till I get my hands on a keggle or a bigger brew pot.

Check on the wort chiller!

I have searched and seen plenty of the DYI projects on MLT's. Still like the hear yall's pros/cons on the diffrent styles.

I'm considering this option for a round- http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=212747-1217-FG1785L42&lpage=none

10 gal round coolers seem a bit hard to find (locally) :cross:

newguy said:
LOL too funny! Great pics though Bier! yeah I'll be limited to 5 gallon batches for a bit till I get my hands on a keggle or a bigger brew pot.

Check on the wort chiller!

I have searched and seen plenty of the DYI projects on MLT's. Still like the hear yall's pros/cons on the diffrent styles.

I'm considering this option for a round- http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=212747-1217-FG1785L42&lpage=none

10 gal round coolers seem a bit hard to find (locally) :cross:

Check with the Depot. If you can't find a round 10, then get a square 10+. Your beer won't taste as good as it would if you made it in a round cooler, but you'll have less regret in the long run.

Cheesefood said:
Check with the Depot. If you can't find a round 10, then get a square 10+. Your beer won't taste as good as it would if you made it in a round cooler, but you'll have less regret in the long run.

Could you explain your reasoning behind that statement?

newguy said:

If you go with a 5 gallon cooler now, you're limiting your ability to do 10 gallon batches or big beers in the future.

Plus, if you get a turkey fryer you can cut the lip off the basket, line it with screen and it'll fit perfectly in your cooler and act as a false bottom for your grain.

:off: Bier Muncher, where do you host your pics? They never show up for me. everyone else's do so I assume it is a browser setting on my end.

Cheesefood said:

newguy said:

Everyone knows that round beer is significantly better than square beer. Duh.

Chad

:D

krispy d said:
:off: Bier Muncher, where do you host your pics? They never show up for me. everyone else's do so I assume it is a browser setting on my end.
Mine are actually uploaded to HBT, so it must be an option in your user settings:

In HBT, go to your User CP (control panel)
Click on "Edit Option"
Down below the "Thread Display Options":

Make sure the radio button "Show Images (including attached images and images in code)" is checked.

You're the first to mention this.

Cheesefood said:
Plus, if you get a turkey fryer you can cut the lip off the basket, line it with screen and it'll fit perfectly in your cooler and act as a false bottom for your grain.

Nice see these are the kinda tips I like to see! I've always preferred "round beers to square ones! :)

So it looks like the consciences is round MLT. Haven't has any square MLT posters yet.

I'll have to make a trip by HD Tommarow and see if they have the 10 gallons in the store . I can't seem to find it on-line.

I also thought of another question. Which sparge method do you guys normally use. I was just thinking of batch sparging. Do I need to look into building a sparge arm too? What do you guys do?

Also Cheese your avatar is freaky man really freaky...I must stop looking at it.....stop......looking......:D

cheers and thanks!

You don't need any kind of sparge arm/ring if you batch sparge.

Also, there are a lot of guys who use rectangle coolers for a MLT. It makes no difference, and the rectangle ones are usually cheaper for a comparable size.

I've got both a 5-gal and a 10-gal cooler, round type. If i had to do it over again, i would get 2 (or more) round 10-gal coolers. i have both outfitted the same way. i got a toilet water line (about 12" or so), and removed the inside tubing so i was left with only braided SS. works great! I have a 1/4" ball valve to control the flow. total setup was about $40.

Back