All grain brewing, where should i start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txfire

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on getting started with all grain brewing with out getting overwhelmed or breaking the bank. From what i've seen getting an igloo cooler and a SS braid or false bottom seems to be pretty popular and effective. I'm wondering if i should just spend the money up front getting the 10gal container and the false bottom now rather than the 5 gal with a braid. It seems like the 10 gal leaves me the option to brew big beers and also use fly sparging. what do yall think? any advice is appreciated

If money isn't a barrier go with the 10 gallon container. You'll appreciate the extra volume to accommodate larger mash volumes.

I initially used a 5 gallon cooler and soon had to upgrade to a 10 gallon to do a coffee porter and Belgian Tripel. The 5 gallon cooler is now used as my HLT for the sparge.

I use a 7 gal igloo cooler for 5 gal batches and it has been sufficiently big enough for all my batches. I haven't gone about a 1.060 recipe yet. 5 gal will be too small for a 5 gal batch.

I am definitely looking for a 10 gal replacement asap. The 7 gal was free, so why not. I think I read somewhere that because it is so wide my efficiency will suffer. Not sure how or why, but I do know that my efficiency SUCKS. Probably a combo of many lazy habits.

You will break the bank by the way. Things you never imagined that you would want or need become easier and easier to justify. I just had to talk myself down from a 3 keg keezer to settling for one keg in the mini fridge I already own. I never even thought I would keg, but $150 is way cheaper than a keezer, 3 cornies, temp control, etc. Justified.

You have to answer some questions for yourself first.

Are you going to stsy with 5 gal batches?

Are you going to do any really big beers?

For example, I usually brew 10 gal batches. The max I can fit into my 48 qt cooler with water is 28 lbs. Depending on the efficiency you get, that will get you an 8% beer.

So I'm brewing an Barley Wine or a big winter warmer, I'm stuck doing 5 gal.

That would be OK, but I see no reason not to brew 10 instead of 5.
JMO

Bull

This is the setup I used to build mine. It works great and not that expensive.

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/mashtun.html

Tons of room for 5 - 10 gallon recipes.

+1

I have the 9 gal version of this cooler with the SS braided hose. Very efficient. I double crush my grain and things run very smooth.

Save the fly sparging for those that want to impress their friends. Batch sparging is a little simpler and fewer moving parts. And a better way to sparge IMHO

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like i'll just go with the 10Gal igloo style cooler. My other question is what do yall think is the best filtering mechanism? a pvc pipe style, the braid or the store bought false bottoms?

And No, i havent made any mini mash brews yet, i kind of have the might as well jump all in mentality. i dont know if thats smart or not.

This is the cooler that I have for my mash tun.

http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers_3/All-Coolers/60-Quart-Island-Breeze-Roller

I just took out the plug, put in one of the smallest bungs I could find (and it does fit snugly BTW) and crammed it in there, got some thin copper pipe with threading and put that into the hole of the bung, got the same sized copper piped T, and then screwed in another pipe on either side. I then clamped the braided SS from a toilet using hose clamps in a half circle to either side of the T. Then I used hose clamps to attach vinyl tubing and a ball valve to the outside of the cooler on the copper pipe, for all less than $75. I will post pictures later this weekend. It never leaks and its easy to disassemble and clean. No special tools or assembly required. 10 minutes and you have a MLT. And its big enough to do any size beer you want.

If you'll notice in the pictures here there is a "V" groove at the spigot end that is lower than the floor of the cooler allowing the wort to almost completely drain out. He also says that is a 70qt cooler. I use the 36qt for 5gal batches. So far no problem but I would have to get a 70qt if I were to do bigger batches.

The stainless steel braided line is the simplest solution and is very efficient. I actually have my grain double crushed and I have no stuck sparge,

You can follow this link for more info. Denny Conn Cheap n Easy Batch Sparge Brewing

And a link to a Brewing Network podcast Batch Sparging with Denny Conn

I use a rubbermaid 48 quart. CPVC manifold with slits cut with a jigsaw. 50+ batches in it and it works great. Whole setup with a ball valve for probably under $30.

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like i'll just go with the 10Gal igloo style cooler. My other question is what do yall think is the best filtering mechanism? a pvc pipe style, the braid or the store bought false bottoms?

And No, i havent made any mini mash brews yet, i kind of have the might as well jump all in mentality. i dont know if thats smart or not.

I have the 36 qt. Coleman Xtreme and SS braid. So far, its worked great. I have no complaints at all with the braiding. What helps is that the Xtreme has a small trough down the middle of the bottom which helps the braiding from getting too weighted down and pinched/crimped by the grain and water. The braiding is also really easy to clean, and dishwasher safe.

Back