All Grain Beer in Fridge causing flavor/quality issues??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEasy43

Reaction score
I did a German Hef All grain beer and notice that I have had different results of Flavor and quality if that makes sense. The first 4-5 beer I had didn't have much taste and the beer was very clear(They were in the fridge for over a week). I was thinking maybe the beer was a little green. The next handful of beer seemed to have a bit more flavor and the beer was cloudy which I was expecting (These were only in the fridge a day or two). Now I had a couple last night, but noticed that flavor was missing a bit and the beer was clearer (They were in the Fridge over 5 days). My question does leaving the beer in the fridge cause these types of issues or is my beer just off a bit in different bottles?

It kind of sounds like you're experiencing issues related to cold crashing. Dropping the temp causes the yeast and proteins to drop out of suspension, which clears the beer. Hef's are supposed to have yeast in suspension as they contribute to the characteristic flavors associated with a hef. A lot of bottled commercial hefs have instructions on the bottle to pour half the bottle into a glass, swirl what's left to rouse the yeast, then pour it into the glass. Try that and see if the flavor improves.

Are you rousing the yeast from the bottle and topping off your pint each time? The fridge will crash the yeast so its possible thats the difference your noticing, clarity sort of hints at this as well. A Hef without the yeast, which is more of a kristallweizen, will taste very different. The yeast is a big component of the overall profile.

Edit - ^ beat me to it

Back