All Grain and Extract Difference in Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwashko

Reaction score
My last two batches have been all grain. Before that I've done maybe 10 extract batches. Each batch has fit roughly into the same OG range (around 1.060) and each of them has been in the same room at roughly 72 F. I'm confused because my all grain batches ferment out in half the time of the extract. So far I haven't had any real problems, I was just wondering if there was any real reason why this would happen or if it was just a coincidence. Thanks for any feedback!

It's possible that you're getting the perfect balance of everything the yeast needs when you do all grain, vs the extract is a bit bound by the conditions of the malt extract itself. I don't recall if my extract batches fermented faster or not, though, and would like to hear others experiences here as well.

Have you improved/changed something that has to do with your yeast? Making starters? Oxygen? Rehydrating dry yeast? Different strains?

I didn't notice any difference when I switched. Maybe it's just that you've unwittingly become a better brewer - there's something you're unconsciously doing that's making better beer!

Have you improved/changed something that has to do with your yeast? Making starters? Oxygen? Rehydrating dry yeast? Different strains?

I didn't notice any difference when I switched. Maybe it's just that you've unwittingly become a better brewer - there's something you're unconsciously doing that's making better beer!

+1. Once you are on the all-grain horse, you start looking for little details to tweak.

All-grain worts have more FAN (free amino nitrogen) and more micro-nutrients then extract based worts. It is also possible that your mash schedule produced more maltose (or even glucose) than what is found in the typical extract. Probably a combination of the two.

Latest posts

Back