All Electric system on a budget.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panchoxer1

Reaction score
Greetigs to all Fellow Home Brewers and Beer Lovers alike,

I'm comming from 1gallon kit brewing, and going straight to a Keggle Brewing setup trying to keep it simple and budget friendly.

Right now i have the following accesories:

1 Single Tier Stand for 3 keggles
3 Sankey Keggles (15.5g)
2 pumps 120V (chugger pump) model CPSS-CI-1
2 RANCO ETC-111000-000 Electric Temperature Control

and some connections and accesories like temp gauges and so.

Well, with the few money posible i'd like to start brewing as quick as possible. This is because i just bought all the equipment aforementioned to a friend on a take it or leave it kind of way :).

So, now i want to try to use all these accesories on the smart way possible to continue my brewing education and try to accomplish the best beer possible i can. :mug:

Next i'll explain my home conditions for the brewing process:

- At home, i have 110V and 220V electrical circuits. on the 220V side, i have the usual Dryer wall socket (10-50R) that i'm not using right now. On the house's electrical panel the 220V circuit has a 30A circuit braker. Important: if possible, i'd like not to make any electrical upgrades or modifications at house's electrical system.

On the Brewing Setup side, i'm planning for one of two options, both electrical driven:

1) BIAB (1 or 2 Vessels)
2) RIMS (2 or 3 Vessels).

Important: I'll be doing 5-10 gallon batches, startin with 5 gallon batches for the learning curve.:beard:

My prefered beer styles to brew: Saison, Hefeweizen, Pale Ale, IPA, Red Ale. Willing to make more complex beers on the future.

To complete my Setup i'm still trying to figure out which method, which accesories, which configuration should i achieve to start brewing (budget wise).

The choices i'd like to expose to the fellow members ot this forum trying to make the best decision posible are:

1) BIAB, RIMS or Herms Setup? I have 3 vessels, 1x240V circuit @30A, 5-10Gallon Batches, low budget. based on what i've read, best would be BIAB or RIMS Systems.

2) Heating Elements type and wattage: which for HLT? which for BT? taking in consideration the available circuits in the electrical panel.

3) Mash Tun: depending on brewing method to choose, and using a keggle for mashing, also considering the budget, should i try to insulate the keggle to keep mash temp? for 5-10 gallon batches or what RIMS element should i buy (wattage) to recirculate the worth and keeping mash temps?

4) Control Panel: i'm totally new to control panels, i have never used one, so i'd appreciate any suggestion on this matter. I'd like to have a ver simple panel, and keep the most work on the manual side instead of automation.

5) Electricity: one of my biggest concerns. i'l be brewing beer on a little appartment, so propane gas is overruled on this case, so i'll be using electricity all the way on the brewing process.

taking in consideration the following:

Up to 3 vessels (MT {maybe Electrim RIM recirculation tube (X)Watts} , HLT {5500Watts heating element}, BT {5500watts heating element}.

- If i use a RIM tube 120V @1650 watts. Is it enough to keep mash temps for 5-10Gallon batches? should i use more Watts on heating element for the RIM tube or should i use a Herms setup instead, using the HLT for heat exchange with Copper inmersion chiller (which i allready have)?

Thanks in advanced for your help and advise!!!
:mug::mug:

Back