All DME Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoke76

Reaction score
Fella's, I brewed a LME/DME Wit beer and it came out dark because of the LME. Some of you mentioned going all DME or AG. I'm not 100% ready for AG yet and was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a partial mash/DME Belguim Wit?

Also mentioned was waiting till the last 15-20 min for adding the DME? Any help would be great.

By the way, after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning, its starting to mellow and actually loose the "sour beer" taste. You guys have been great with the advice.

Patience my young padwan, patience

The bestest advice yet!!:eek:

Here's our tried and true Belgian Wit DME recipe:

3 lbs light DME, 3 lbs wheat DME, 1 oz hallertaur, 1 oz cascade, 1 oz sweet orange peel, 1 oz coriander seed (crushed), Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast.

.5 oz hallertaur @ 60 min, .5 oz hallertaur @ 45 min, .5 oz cascade @ 30 min, 1 oz orange peel and 1 oz coriander seed @ 15 min, .5 oz cascade @ 5 min.

OG: 1.05
FG: 1.012

Give it a month from pitch date to drink date. We got bubblegum/banana esters when we sampled it at two weeks (probably from high ferment temps), but it mellowed at three to four weeks, the bubblegum receeding and the banana melding with the clove from the yeast.

best of luck!

mike

MLynchLtd said:
Here's our tried and true Belgian Wit DME recipe:

3 lbs light DME, 3 lbs wheat DME, 1 oz hallertaur, 1 oz cascade, 1 oz sweet orange peel, 1 oz coriander seed (crushed), Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast.

.5 oz hallertaur @ 60 min, .5 oz hallertaur @ 45 min, .5 oz cascade @ 30 min, 1 oz orange peel and 1 oz coriander seed @ 15 min, .5 oz cascade @ 5 min.

OG: 1.05
FG: 1.012

Give it a month from pitch date to drink date. We got bubblegum/banana esters when we sampled it at two weeks (probably from high ferment temps), but it mellowed at three to four weeks, the bubblegum receeding and the banana melding with the clove from the yeast.

best of luck!

mike

Now, if I did a partial Mash with this recipe, what changes? Less DME? Just for my personal info

I don't imagine much would change, the sugars released by the partial mash shouldn't impact the beer too much. If anything you'll add more flavor and alcohol content. How can that be a bad thing? ;)

mike

I think it would probably be fine just to go ahead and add a partial mash without removing anything. Like said before, if anything you'll just end up with slightly more potent beer in both flavor and alch. This recipe actually doesnt call for too much DME. If nothing else, I would probably steep an additional pound of wheat grain to add to this recipe.

Also mentioned was waiting till the last 15-20 min for adding the DME? Any help would be great.

I have made two 5g batches of Wit using LME @ 15min. Finished beer was slightly darker (light golden color) than the standard Wit profile. However, my taste-buds didn't notice any difference at all!

I can't believe someone doesn't know what that is! I figured that once it was on Family Guy it was held as common knowledge :)

or perhaps I'm just more of a geek than I'm prepared to admit :p

mike

Back