All Brett C Beers Tasting Thin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadillacAndy

Reaction score
I have 2 beers that are all Brett C and they both have a very thin mouthfeel and a cider/wine flavor. Both were fermented at about 68F and kegged to approx. 2.3 volumes.

Has anyone else had this experience with all Brett beers?

I can provide recipe specifics if needed, but both the beers are totally different styles - hop bursted APA and a lower gravity Belgian Dark.

Chad Yakobson has said that Brett doesn't produce glycerol, a key element of mouthfeel. So for a full bodied 100% Brett beer you need to compensate by adding unmalted grains rich in proteins and beta-glucans (wheat, oats, rye), acidity, adjust the carbonation, produce a more dextrinous wort (although this is tricky as Brett can ferment many dextrins), or add lactose if the strain you are using does not produce the enzyme β-glucosidase (not sure which do/don’t).

Oldsock said:
Chad Yakobson has said that Brett doesn't produce glycerol, a key element of mouthfeel. So for a full bodied 100% Brett beer you need to compensate by adding unmalted grains rich in proteins and beta-glucans (wheat, oats, rye), acidity, adjust the carbonation, produce a more dextrinous wort (although this is tricky as Brett can ferment many dextrins), or add lactose if the strain you are using does not produce the enzyme β-glucosidase (not sure which do/don’t).

That was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Now that you mention it, I think I have heard that before too. Thank you for posting.

Maybe I can salvage what I have with some malto dextrine and quick drinking. Thanks again!

My all Brett C belgian blonde came out with a great mouthfeel, and not thin at all. It was almost all pilsner malt and finished around 1.01 or 1.012 if I remember correctly. Judged a 45 at a comp last spring for huge pineapple nose and great malt backbone. I'd have to check for mash temperature and exact procedure, but I believe it was a pretty straight forward brew.

moti_mo said:
My all Brett C belgian blonde came out with a great mouthfeel, and not thin at all. It was almost all pilsner malt and finished around 1.01 or 1.012 if I remember correctly. Judged a 45 at a comp last spring for huge pineapple nose and great malt backbone. I'd have to check for mash temperature and exact procedure, but I believe it was a pretty straight forward brew.

Nice! I'd be interested to hear about the mash temp. I'm pretty sure both of my Brett C beers were between 150-152F. The one had a pound of oats, but also a pound of dark candi sugar. The IPA had a half pound of regular sugar to help dry it out more. Same recipe I used several times, except all late addition hops and Brett C instead of us-05. I was going for tropical fruit flavor with the Brett. Cascade and Amarillo and the pineapple flavor from the Brett play nicely together, and it's a decent beer, just lacks body.

Next all Brett beer I make I'll totally leave sugar out of the recipe.

Mine had 25% wheat with american 2 row and a 1/2lbe of acid malt, came in at 1.010. Very tasty, pineapple, slight funk. Same basic idea as your brew.

I have four 8 month old bottles right now, it was hard to stop drinking them once I started. 1.045, 17ibu, mashed at 152, pitched a 1.2L stir-plated starter.

Back