All Brett Beer Has Banana Flav/Aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLDanimal

Reaction score
I just tapped a beer brewed with Brett B Trois and Brett C and it has a hefe like banana taste and aroma to it, not a lot of tropical fruits as I was hoping. I fermented two weeks at 65 and placed it in the secondary at 55 for 4 weeks. The malt bill was 95 percent pils malt and 5 percent wheat. OG was around 1.055. Anyone else experienced a banana like taste/aroma using all brett or know what would cause this?

If anything the reverse is usually true. Brett produces an enzyme that destroys isoamyl acetate, the ester responsible for the banana aroma in hefe weizens. Maybe some related aromatic that smell similar? What was your pitching rate?

One vial of White Labs Brett B Trois and One vial of Brett C. That was probably under pitching but I didnt know they needed a starter. It wasnt until after I pitched that I learned they have a lower cell count than the sach tubes. Would under pitching have anything to do with this? Had a couple people independently mention the banana aroma but IMO its more like the banana type aroma you would get in a belgian. Thanks for the reply.

One vial of White Labs Brett B Trois and One vial of Brett C. That was probably under pitching but I didnt know they needed a starter. It wasnt until after I pitched that I learned they have a lower cell count than the sach tubes. Would under pitching have anything to do with this? Had a couple people independently mention the banana aroma but IMO its more like the banana type aroma you would get in a belgian. Thanks for the reply.

Under-pitching by that much (even fresh it would take 33 tubes just to equal what is in a regular vial of brewer's yeast) could certainly cause elevated ester production. Never done it myself, but I'd guess giving it some time warm for the Brett to keep working might help things. Is it still yeasty? that could impact the flavor as well.

Latest posts

Back