All barley light beer for Christmas Soup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreene820

Reaction score
My family has a Christmas tradition of a "Cheese Corn Soup" with a beer base. I'm finding light beers without a lot of hops are best for this purpose. Any recommendations for an all-barley malt light beer with low hops for cooking?

When you say "light" beer, do you mean beers in the same category as Bud Light, Coors Lite, and Miller Lite, i.e. low body, low-ish calorie? If so, I don't think you're going to find any that are all malt.

If by light you just mean "pale," then something like Kona Longboard or Moosehead might fit.

Anyone care to share a good recipe? Just guessing; this sounds like an upper mid-west tradition, given the ingredients. As a lifelong resident of a southern coastal state, I’ve never even heard of it. By the way, a Christmas tradition over close to the coast is fried oysters for Christmas breakfast. I have had them when visiting the in-laws. It was not a tradition in my western piedmont/foothills home. I always liked fried oysters, but it’s a rich breakfast.

Back