AliExpress RIMS tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
Just received my AliExpress RIMS tube. $86.99 shipped to Alaska, as pictured. Only took 11 days to get here!
It's 16" end to end. Still waiting on a 1750W cartridge heater, female threaded tri clamp for the rtd, and the tri clamp barbs. Can't wait to get this build started.

Just received my AliExpress RIMS tube. $86.99 shipped to Alaska, as pictured. Only took 11 days to get here!
It's 16" end to end. Still waiting on a 1750W cartridge heater, female threaded tri clamp for the rtd, and the tri clamp barbs. Can't wait to get this build started.

you can add a sightglass in the middle if you want to make it larger and see whats going on in there..

btw this might work better than you rtd you have planned now.. I use a few of them and they are good ones with teflon cable.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=253378587548

This from last night's tuning session. This morning, I added a longer hose on the outlet so I can tilt the whole assembly to purge air bubbles.
I'm getting 2.85 degrees/min on the lower temperature range, 90F to 100F. I'll time it again in the normal mash temp range, 150F to 160F.

No. And it is an issue, as I discovered during my calibration sequence. If I put it in a horizontal configuration it responds much better. When vertical, an air gap forms above the tee outlet.
I'll use it in the horizontal position until I decide how to correct the issue.

No. And it is an issue, as I discovered during my calibration sequence. If I put it in a horizontal configuration it responds much better. When vertical, an air gap forms above the tee outlet.
I'll use it in the horizontal position until I decide how to correct the issue.
is there a reason your not keen on the $13 tri clamp temp probe I linked above?
I use 4 of them myself in the brewpub. They do work well. and are sanitary without threaded fittings.

Stacy,
I am researching building my own RIMS.

Just curious, why did you choose a cartridge heater over a standard heating element?

J

Stacy,

Just curious, why did you choose a cartridge heater over a standard heating element?

J

Basically, it was the longest, highest wattage element I could find for the cheapest price. I felt I was sacrificing either length or wattage with triclamp and other standard heating elements; not to mention the triclamp elements are usually more expensive. Plus, a long single cylinder should be easy to clean with just a wipe down.

is there a reason your not keen on the $13 tri clamp temp probe I linked above?
I use 4 of them myself in the brewpub. They do work well. and are sanitary without threaded fittings.

Nope, no reason at all. I already had the parts on order and just fit them together last weekend. It wasn't until I put everything together that I realized the probe was too short. I'm very much considering the RTD you linked, thank you. I'm currently at work and will do some measuring tonight to see about where it will end up in my tube. My heating element is just under the outlet tee, so I need to make sure whatever I chose will not touch the element.

I'm interested in how you connected/incorporated the cartridge heater through the triclamp. I am in the process of trying to figure out how I want to do a RIMS system and like the idea of the cartridge heater but haven't quite figured out how to install it with the AliExpress RIMS tube. All the incorporated triclamp solutions seem to be with water heater elements

How did you go about ordering the rims tube off of AliExpress?

How did you go about ordering the rims tube off of AliExpress?
AliExpress is as easy as Amazon. You create a log in, find the item, put it in the shopping cart, then check out.
It did take longer to get some of my items, but I had everything within 5 weeks. If you're not in a hurry, it's an alternative to other online retailers.

I'm interested in how you connected/incorporated the cartridge heater through the triclamp. I am in the process of trying to figure out how I want to do a RIMS system and like the idea of the cartridge heater but haven't quite figured out how to install it with the AliExpress RIMS tube. All the incorporated triclamp solutions seem to be with water heater elements
Well on the last rims I built for my brewpub, I used two 28" long 1/2" wide 2000w cartridge heaters and just mounted the end of them in a compression fitting and screwed it into the adapters below from brewhardware...
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tc15f12nptdouble.htm

I then screwed a watertight electrical box to the other end with the cord coming out of it.

On older rims I drilled out a compression fitting and mounted it the opposite direction with the compression fitting screwed into the TC or camlock from the outside if that makes sense. there are pics in my build thread below.

Last edited:
Stacy,

J
I can tell you why I use them.

I experimented with a bunch of different elements and found my rims performed better when I went with a longer element due to longer contact time on each pass through the rims, plus the heating action is a lot more gentle with less denaturing of enzymes this way. Dont forget conversion takes place in the wort itself not just the grainbed so with a traditional rims using a 5500w element your actually mashing whatever wort is in contact with the rims element at a much higher temp momentarily. (this is why some brewers prefer herms) well with a super ULWD element thats long enough the element surface literally just has to heat up a degree or so over the desired temp to achieve the desired output... yet at the same time when one wants to step mash you still have the quick response time. I went from a 24" long 2000w element to a 36" long 1800w element and my rims performance increased... I also use very low flow (1.5-1.8gpm).

other advantages are the rims element stays clean with no buildup and if there is buildup it wipes clean easily.

Since the cartridge heater is threaded, its fairly easy to mount to the tube with a female triclamp adapter. The outdoor metal box is to hold the wiring and to have a ground connection. I still have a couple of things to do, but I'll snap a few photos this weekend as I finish up.
Even though I'm not satisfied with the RTD location, I'm going to brew this weekend. I'll report back.

Everything seems liquid tight, so first brew got started earlier today. A kind of autumn ale.
The slight incline of the tube helped to purge any air pockets. I may keep it this way.

20181110_105345.jpg
20181110_105345.jpg
Where did you get the cartridge heater? So far, I have only found one (specifically for brewing) here. But it has sketchy pictures.

Are your wire connections similar to the link above or did you have to make them like other heater elements?

Do you think your cartridge heater would have fit into brew hardware’s mount?

Thanks
Jayme

Jayme,
I ordered the cartridge heater through AliExpress, but they are also available on Amazon.

Amazon Dernord Immersion Cartridge Heater 120V 1750W Hot Rod Heating Element Replacement 3/4 Inch Thread

AliExpress DERNORD Stainless Steel 120v 1750w 3/4"NPT Screw in Type Electric Immersion Cartridge Heater Element

The connection is a two wire configuration, so you'll need an enclosure with a ground screw. I don't know if the Brew Hardware enclosure will work. I just used a single gang outdoor box with a solid cover.

I drilled the solid cover just large enough to fit the 3/4" thread through the hole. An o-ring was snugly fit over the threads on both sides of the cover. Wrapped some teflon tape around the threads. The 3/4" tri clamp adapter was then screwed onto the heater, squeezing the outer o-ring against the cover. See the photo.

Back