Ale Pail / other standard 6.5 gal bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hbt-ale-pail-743.jpg

Manufacturer - (generic)

This is a standard 6.5gal plastic bucket, branded as Ale Pail, for brewing ales, lagers, ciders, etc. May be sold with or without a bottling spigot.
High quality from The "Ale Pail". This unit came complete with snap on lid drilled for a grommet (included) and a lifting bail. The interior was clean, smooth and scratch/mold mark free. Sanitizing will be a breeze.
I am looking forward to my first batch in the new fermentor. A word to the wise though. If you can find one with a spigot you would be better served to get that since it reduces the possibility of aerating your beer when transferring to bottles or secondary fermenters. A minor issue that can be readily fixed when the time comes and the fermentor is empty. Otherwise a great step up from a Mr Beer 2 1/2 gallon entry level kit.
Bob
Price Payed: $14.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Larger batches, easy to stack and store, easy to clean,
Cons: The unit I got does not have a spigot to rack to bottles or a secondary. Have to use a racking can and siphon to move beer and wort.
hbt-ale-pail-743.jpg

All i can really say definitly worth the money and very good for beginning.. You Cant beat the price i got mine at the local brewing store for 12.00 and yea it has the downfall of being plastic but also has the benefit of not breaking and easy to drain with a spigot installed. overall its great i would strongly recommend this product. it gets the job done for sure!
Price Payed: $12.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: cheap, spigot, gets the job done
Cons: plastic... need i say more

I purchased mine at the LHBS and it works great. It was only a $1.00 less online so it was good to support my local shop.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Easy to clean, easy to move
Cons: Not able to watch the little yeasties

Nice, easy, cost effective way to ferment. Unlike carboys, the buckets are able to be stacked when not in use. I have about 6 of these buckets as well as a carboy, and I would have to say that the buckets are much easier to clean and use.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Easy to clean, lightweight, and its nice to be able to stack multiple buckets that are not being used to ferment.
Cons: The lid durability is not the greatest. I've had a couple lids get holes poked through them over the years.

It's an over-priced plastic bucket...what's not to like?
Price Payed: $20.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Durable, cheap
Cons: none really...works great

Actually, a 5-gallon heavy-duty bucket with a sweet lid from sanitizer for a restaurant sanitizer/dishwasher. 3" screw-of cap can be replaced with alternates for airlocks, blowoffs, thermowells, etc.
Price Payed: $0.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Free, heavy duty, sweet inset cap. Rubber gasket inside lid rim.
Cons: Screw cap could be possible infection point. Main lid needed modification to open and close easily.

High quality from The "Ale Pail". This unit came complete with snap on lid drilled for a grommet (included) and a lifting bail. The interior was clean, smooth and scratch/mold mark free. Sanitizing will be a breeze. Looking forward to my first batch in the new fermentor. A word to the wise though. If you can find one with a spigot you would be better served to get that since it reduces the possibility of airating your beer when transfering to bottles or secondary fermentors. A minor issue that can be readilly fixed when the time comes and the fermentor is empty. Otherwise a great step up fom a Mr Beer 2 1/2 gallon entry level kit.
Bob
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Larger batches, easy to stack and store, easy to clean,
Cons: The unit I got does not have a spigot to rack to bottles or a secondary. Have to use a racking can and siphon to move beer and wort.

It's a very generic and standard brewing fermenting bucket. Does what it needs to do, and that's ferments the beer. It did stain and get scratched pretty easy though. Would replace it at least every 3 years.
Price Payed: $15.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: cheap, easy to clean
Cons: stained and scratched easily

Purchased as part of a Midwest Beginners kit. All the pieces you need to get going in the homebrew hobby. Durable plastic if you don't want to risk the chance of breaking a carboy.
Price Payed: $18.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Easy to clean and maneuver
Cons: Can't see your beer fermenting

Back