Ale fermenting at 55 deg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderm

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Ive had a nugget nectar clone with a strong fermentation for 24 hrs at 68 deg. Over night it dropped to 55 deg. It is wyeast British ale yeast. Any lasting effects on the beer? It's still got bubble activity.

That's low according to the optimal temps for that yeast strain. Maybe try throwing a blanket around the fermenter to up the degrees some. You wouldn't the yeast to go into hibernation

I don't think it should have any lasting effects so long as you can your fermentation to complete.

Just get it back to the normal temperature range for the yeast and try to keep it there. Letting it drop to 55F probably isnt a huge deal, but it might slow down the fermentation process a bit. But I definitely wouldn't let this happen on a daily basis.

I've fermented many batches in that temp range you shouldn't worry. do your best to keep the temp higher, but yeast is wonderfully resilient. If you are hoping to get flavors from your yeast, you will get less of them at lower temps.

I've gone as low as 58 but fermentation takes much longer at that temp. I'd warm it up a little if I were you or you may just be waiting a while for it to finish.

Back