Ale Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acepilot

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a fermentation that is too slow? Here is my scenario. I don't yet have temperature control of my fermenter, so in an effort to ferment at lower temperature than I normally do (67-77 degrees) and reduce any off flavors, I put my current batch in the basement, where the winter temps are steadier but at about 53-55 degrees. I'm using Wyeast 1275 and the airloc is bubbling and I have good krausen. It's been in the fermenter for just about 2 weeks now and the krausen has remained in there. I know it's going slow because it's probably a bit cool. Will this slow fermentation have a detrimental effect or should I just wait for it to finish and keg the bad boy up (English Standard/Ordinary Bitter)? Thoughts???

Ace

According to Wyeast, optimum temperature for 1275 is 62 to 72F
The lower temperatures will slow things down, but the initial fermentation would have generated enough heat to raise the brew temperature considerably above ambient.
After 2 weeks, the fermentation will not be producing anything like as much heat, and the beer will probably be considerably below the optimum temperature.
I'd move it upstairs to a warmer location to let it finish off, as off flavors caused by high fermentation temperatures are caused during the early stages of fermentation.

-a.

Back