Ale/beer in ancient Greece

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widukind

Reaction score
Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I have an interest in antiquity. Well, I just came across an interesting nugget of information. Apparently, the ancient Greeks had a thing for that special brew we (in this forum at least) all love:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5340937/Ancient-Greeks-loved-beer-wine.html

It’s kind of ironic. For a people that were critical of barbarians, I never thought that this sort of information would come up. So much for the theory that they only drank watered-down concentrated wine. I imagine it was similar to what the Sumerians brewed in clay pots. I myself am attempting a similar endeavour with date juice and bappir (twice-baked bread used in brewing, as the Sumerians would have done).

Last edited:
I've been meaning to try that stuff. I'll be looking for some on my next trip down to the states.

Latest posts

Back