Ale and lager yeast: can I use both yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diegobonatto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am wondering if it is possible to use a ale yeast strain in the first fermentation and a lager yeast strain in the second fermentation (or vice-versa).....
Just thinking about the possibility.....

Diego

i'll take a shot here. since the flavor of the beer is determined in large part by the yeast you use you have to find two yeasts that will still give you the flavor profile you want. most homebrewers are leaving their beers in the primary for the entire time, no secondary.

What are you planning on making??

Since most ale yeasts have a ABV tolerance of 10-12%, and lager yeasts (the ones I looked up at least) are about 9%, I don't think you'll get additional fermentations with a second yeast addition. At least not in the same wort.

When people rack beers to secondary, 95% of the time it's not for a second fermentation cycle. It really should be called a "bright tank". Even then, for ales, it's pretty much unnecessary to do this step, unless you're racking off of a flavor element and onto another, and want to stop the addition of the first one.

Many of us, here, leave ales on the yeast for 2-4+ weeks and get great results. Racking an ale (or brew made with ale yeast) to a bright tank is a carry over from home brewing from over a decade ago. If you just want to get the brew clearer, leave it on the yeast for another week or two. Your brew will be as clear, if not more so, than if you racked to another vessel. Try it... Less work and great results is typically a win in most people's book...

I completely agree with you, people: less is more sometimes.
But I am wondering if some carbohydrates, like raffinose, that are not fermented by ale strains, could be fermented in a second round by a lager strain in order to improve the organoleptic properties of beer. Of course, raffinose should be a minimal component of beer, I think....

I completely agree with you, people: less is more sometimes.
But I am wondering if some carbohydrates, like raffinose, that are not fermented by ale strains, could be fermented in a second round by a lager strain in order to improve the organoleptic properties of beer. Of course, raffinose should be a minimal component of beer, I think....

Don't think it will matter too much...

Try it and post up the results... You might be onto something. Just be prepared for the results, whatever they may be... Basically, I wouldn't make that my only brew for that weekend. OR, I'd plan to brew again the following weekend so my pipeline doesn't suffer. :D

They say that WLP060 is a blend of three yeasts and one is a lager yeast, however it probably is the San Francisco Lager yeast which ferments at ale temps and I don't know if it is a true lager yeast.

But I am wondering if some carbohydrates, like raffinose, that are not fermented by ale strains, could be fermented in a second round by a lager strain in order to improve the organoleptic properties of beer

What exactly are you looking for from using both types of yeasts? There is no raffinose in wort, and very tiny amounts of melibilose (the other sugar that lager yeast can ferment but ale yeast cannot). I think lager yeasts ferment a greater percentage of maltotriose than ale yeasts do, but any detectable differences that leads to can be taken care of by adjusting your grain bill and/or process.

Not searching for anything in special....just thinking about the fermentative differences of both yeast types and if it is possible to combine the "best of two worlds".

Back