Ale - 5 weeks at 1degreeC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaNewf

Reaction score
5 weeks ago I set the temperature control on my fermentation fridge to 1dC to cold crash an ale. The ale was still in the primary fermenter sitting on the trub. For reasons beyond my control I did not have an opportunity to bottle the beer until now (and maybe not for another week yet).

I think the beer itself will be fine (anybody have a differing opinion?) but I am wondering if the beer will carbonate if I just prime and bottle as usual. I used Danstar Windsor ale yeast. Will any of it still be alive after 5 weeks at this temperature?

Anybody have any suggestions how I should proceed?
  • Prime/bottle as usual?
  • Increase the temperature for a few days first?
  • Add bottling yeast (how do you do that)?
  • Something else?
I appreciate any help/suggestions. I don't want to dump this batch especially since my stock of homebrewed adult beverages is running low. It would be horrible if my wife got the corona virus because I sent her out to buy me beer.

Definitely just bottle and prime as usual. Hopefully it's nice and clear! Five weeks is not really a long time, and Windsor is (by some accounts) a low flocculator as well, meaning there's bound to be some still in suspension.

Definitely just bottle and prime as usual. Hopefully it's nice and clear! Five weeks is not really a long time, and Windsor is (by some accounts) a low flocculator as well, meaning there's bound to be some still in suspension.
Thanks for the input. My intention was to just do that but then I figured I'd run it by HBT first to see if anyone thought differently or had a similar situation happen to them and how they dealt with it.

Back