Alcoholic hotness/solvent-yness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirSpectre

Reaction score
So I entered one of my first brews in a local home brew comp. I won third place in my style (out of 11. 165 over all)! Not bad for brewing less than a year I guess.

I really entered to get some feedback on my beer that has been my biggest success so far. I knew there was a flaw in the finish, but couldn't put my finger on it. I got back my score sheets (and medal!) and got some excellent feedback. The taste was too high in alcohol. It had a "hot" finish one said, and a "solvent" finish the other. Both mentioned high in alcohol specifically. American Brown Ale was the style, I was at 7.6% abv. I am targeting more of an "imperial" style ABA, so 7.6% was actually a bit lower than than what I want of 8%, but still several points higher than the style. This was expected.

I can't seem to figure out how to get that taste out. I'll be brewing batch #2 on Sunday with some changes, but need to know more.

I used 2 packs Wyeast American Ale strain without a starter. Fermented at 72*. Beer was bottled for 3 months prior to competition.

I will be using a 2L starter this time around, and fermenting at 66*. Is there anything else I should be doing? Maybe a different strain, or condition the beer longer? Ideally, I'd like to ramp it up to the 8% I want for this batch, then refine from there.

Last edited:
I dont usually taste alcohol/solvent taste out of just higher alcohol content. I associate that with fusel alcohols. Usually produced early in fermentation...often due to high ferm temps. Maybe you are getting low levels of fusels? Higher levels would normally be considered a significant flaw and would be surprised if a beer with such would win any prizes.

If thats it, maybe try lowering your wort temp to a few degrees below your target ferm temp before pitching. This will make intial ferm less intense (where off flavors often get their start) and heat from fermentarion will gradaully bring up the wort temp.

Also, what is the ideal temp range for the yeast you are using? If your wort temp is 72F and active ferm raises it a few degrees then you are getting up into high ferm temps...may be the source of the problem.

I got back my score sheets (and medal!) and got some excellent feedback. The taste was too high in alcohol. It had a "hot" finish one said, and a "solvent" finish the other. Both mentioned high in alcohol specifically.

Congratulations on the medal. Not to detract from your success, I'm sure it had many other things going for it such as balance and flavor, but, my first thought when reading this was, 'How bad were the others'.

I can't seem to figure out how to get that taste out. I'll be brewing batch #2 on Sunday with some changes, but need to know more.

I used 2 packs Wyeast American Ale strain without a starter. Fermented at 72*. Beer was bottled for 3 months prior to competition.

I will be using a 2L starter this time around, and fermenting at 66*. Is there anything else I should be doing? Maybe a different strain, or condition the beer longer? Ideally, I'd like to ramp it up to the 8% I want for this batch, then refine from there.

Sounds like fusel alcohols from high fermentation temps. Although the temp started at 72 F, active fermentation could have raised the internal temp to 80 F, way above the yeasts recommended range.

How to improve: I'd start with getting the wort down to mid to low 60s before pitching to give you some head room on the max yeast temp. Another cheap trick is to put the fermenter in a tub off water, a large tub and fill with 10 to 15 gallons of water. The water will act as a heat sink and prevent the internal fermentation temp from getting much more than a degree or two above the water temp. While I still recommend mid 60s for that yeast, you could get away with 70 if you have a decent heat sink to take the heat away.

Awesome. Thanks for all the advice. I pitched at 66* with a 2 L starter. Ambient room temp is 65* and I have the fermenter sitting in a few gallons of water to keep things lower. Its already bubbling away. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Awesome. Thanks for all the advice. I pitched at 66* with a 2 L starter. Ambient room temp is 65* and I have the fermenter sitting in a few gallons of water to keep things lower. Its already bubbling away. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Keep an eye on the beer temp - you might have to put some ice jugs in the bath if it gets too warm. And I wouldn't wait for it to get really high - I add ice when it's 1 degree above target because it can get out of control quickly.

Back