Alcohol Percentage Leeway for Labeling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snooky

Reaction score
So I just brewed an old ale and added some fruit to the secondary fermentation. The original gravity was 1.066, after primary it was 1.018 and after secondary it was 1.014. This comes out to about 6.8%. However, there were a lot of sugars added from the fruit (3 lbs of dried fruit, which if the sugars were extracted would have raised the initial gravity) and it tastes much more alcoholic. I am guessing there's no way to tell what the actual alcohol content would be but I was wondering what the rule is for margin of error when labeling alcohol percentage in beer. I was only able to find that if wine is under 14% they are allowed +/- 1.5%. Does this rule apply to any alcoholic beverage or just wine? And if it is only wine, does anyone know what the rule is for beer?

Thanks

Does it really matter since this is for a homebrew not a commercial beer? Or are you planning on selling it? If a homebrew then call it whatever sounds good :) If commercial then contact your lawyer that helped you with all of the licenses.

Back