Alcohol off flavors...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel82

Reaction score
Got some pretty harsh alcohol off flavors in my Irish Red I just tried. Its been conditioning for only a week and a half but I decided to try one and see how its progressing. Is this an off flavor that goes away with conditioning or am I stuck with a bad batch?

As a side note I checked the causes on here and it says fermenting at to high a temp and oxidation. I have a chest freezer with a temp controller on it so I have to guess that my propblem was oxidation. That makes it hard to pinpoint where in my process the problem is happening. Is there a common point where oxidation is most likely to occur?

oxidation usually happens between transfers from primary to secondaries,bottles and kegs. If it is in the primary now chances are it is not oxidation from oxygen. After aerating the wort the yeast uses up all of the oxygen within a day and any oxygen/air in the headspace would be purged with co2. Maybe you got your hands on some old malt extract?

Give it more time to condition. Unless you really splashed it around when racking, it is likely not oxidized, just green.

Sorry my post was vague. It has been bottle conditioning for a week and a half. I was planning on drinking it for the super bowl, but I can't serve beer with a harsh alcohol aftertaste. I guess since all the work is done as far as brewing and bottling all I can do is wait. I'm just hoping it can go away in a week and a half.

Sorry my post was vague. It has been bottle conditioning for a week and a half. I was planning on drinking it for the super bowl, but I can't serve beer with a harsh alcohol aftertaste. I guess since all the work is done as far as brewing and bottling all I can do is wait. I'm just hoping it can go away in a week and a half.

Your only option of it cleaning up faster is sticking it someware that stays a constant 75 before sticking them in the fridge a few days.:mug: Once they warm i would tip them then leave them for a week.

Back