ALC and krausen questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawdyga

Reaction score
I have two questions, so here is the first. I have just bottled my 2nd batch of beer, and in both batches, when the yeast took off, I had so much krausen that it pushed through the air lock. Didn't seem to bother the taste of the first batch, have been drinking it and it is good, but after reading about everyone having to wait for the yeast to do anything, wondering why I am getting such an overabundance.
Secondly, when I do the calculation, my ALC seems to be on the low side, or even slightly below the range given on the kit. I am measuring it before bottling, does the sugar bring it up very much? Thanks for any help, so far the beers seem to taste good, so more wondering why.

A really vigorous fermentation is probably a sign of fermenting warm. As a general rule, you don't want an ale fermentation to get over 70°F, which means keeping the air temperature under 65°F.

How are you estimating alcohol content? Can you post the readings? At any rate, priming sugar will add 0.2-0.4% ABV, depending on the carbonation level.

I was wondering if the temperature was too high. I keep the house at about 65 degrees, but I have seen with all of the activity going on in the carboy, that the temp is higher. I think my next batch I will put in the basement, where it should be a little cooler. Any other ideas to keep the temp down?

Latest posts

Back