Alabama friggin' SUCKS!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just arrived in the "dry as a popcorn fart" climate of Montgomery, Alabama.

My ass hurts from the 12 hour drive, I'm exhausted from lugging my crap up to the third floor of my "dorm" room, and to top it all off, my damn beer is warm.

I'm here for a lovely 6 weeks. I have a feeling that if I wasn't an alky before this "vacation", I will be after it.

Until later.....

Having just traveled through TX, Louisianna, Mississippi and Alabama on my way to glorious Tennessee, I can say with authority that you should fall on your knees immediately and thank your Higher Power that you aren't in Louisi-suckola-anna.

hope the time passes quickly, my friend.

<snip>.... I can say with authority that you should fall on your knees immediately and thank your Higher Power that you aren't in Louisi-suckola-anna.

Now now, LA's liquor and booze laws are a haven compared to those others mentioned. I mean, drive through liquor? YES.

Anyways...yeah...don't be hoping for much in terms of good beer. At least you can kill yourself real quick with some fried food and the likes.

And...welcome to dixie, pard'ner.

EDIT: Actually, you might be able to get some Lazy Magnolia. It's a Micro on the gulf coast of MS. Their flagship brew is Southern Pecan, a favorite of mine. There's also a pretty decent brew pub in Mobile called Hurricane Brewing.

Damn, I missed you by a week. I was driving through there last Wednesday.

A lot of my family is from Alabama, rural part too. It can get pretty boring at times. I would say go buy some nice high ABV beers and drink yourself silly, oh wait, that is against the law. Maybe you could hook up with some local homebrewers and brew some beer, oh, that is against the law too. Sorry, I am not helping.

Anyway, when I am in Alabama I enjoy going to Wal-Mart and watching the Braves on TV with my grandparents (every night). You should feel lucky that you aren't in a dry county. Might try to find some Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan, I picked some up in Mississippi last week. Pretty good beer and rare in its isolation in the deep south.

Hang in there and be glad its not August.

I was in a dry county in Abalama for four days, but we smuggled in lots of booze. Thank god, too, I would have gone bananas if I had spent the whole time dead sober!

Having just traveled through TX, Louisianna, Mississippi and Alabama on my way to glorious Tennessee, I can say with authority that you should fall on your knees immediately and thank your Higher Power that you aren't in Louisi-suckola-anna.

hope the time passes quickly, my friend.

One of my employees is from Louisiana, and his home town has a drive through Margarita joint. They leave the little paper wrapper on the end of the straw so it's not cosidered an open container:drunk:

Montgomery sucks pretty bad. There's not a whole lot to do there. The only brew pub type place anywhere near there is in Auburn, Al. It's only 45 mins down the road and might be worth the drive: http://auburnalehouse.com/

They have a minor league team in Montgomery. I've never been to the games, but I understand the stadium (and scenery) is nice there Click Here. The Civil Rights Museum is in Montgomery. I toured it in high school. It's nice.

Alabama ain't too bad if you can get over the heat.

Yeah, I still can't make up my mind about our little state. Beer selection is definitely a problem, and good luck making it through the heat. And thank the Lord you're not here in Auburn, definitely feels 10 degrees hotter than anywhere else. And about the Olde Auburn Ale House, they do pretty well, but I'd like to think I've brewed better brews (and I'm still a noob).

Still, welcome to Alabama, it has its perks too... somewhere.

One of my employees is from Louisiana, and his home town has a drive through Margarita joint. They leave the little paper wrapper on the end of the straw so it's not cosidered an open container:drunk:

They used to do that here at Taco Cabana back in the day....:D

It's a hoot when I tell Texans that I did 3 years in Huntsville before I got to come to Austin. They usually say, "That's nice" and step back 2 steps.

Then I say I lived in Huntsville, AL for 3 years. :D

For Texans, saying you did 3 years in Huntsville will get them since Huntsville, TX is a Prison town and the famous Texas Death Row.

It's a hoot when I tell Texans that I did 3 years in Huntsville before I got to come to Austin. They usually say, "That's nice" and step back 2 steps.

Then I say I lived in Huntsville, AL for 3 years. :D

For Texans, saying you did 3 years in Huntsville will get them since Huntsville, TX is a Prison town and the famous Texas Death Row.

When I was a kid, my mom used to warn us that we'd be visiting her there if we didn't calm down.

Luckily, she now makes a point that none of us have visited there. I add, "Until they find the bodies....but don't worry, they're hookers!"

One more thing. If you wanna make a drive to Birmingham, there is actually something worth doing this weekend.....

1745_1211903225.jpg

I went to a haunted house at Sloss Furnace one year. I can't believe we drove 3 hours to that junk.

On the other hand that brewfest seems interesting. :mug:

Auburn ale house isn't too bad, thier food was really good.

Of course I had been eating confrence food for 3 days and drinking Bud select before I found that place, so I may have been a little biased when I entered the place :D

Montgomery sucks pretty bad. There's not a whole lot to do there. The only brew pub type place anywhere near there is in Auburn, Al. It's only 45 mins down the road and might be worth the drive: http://auburnalehouse.com/

They have a minor league team in Montgomery. I've never been to the games, but I understand the stadium (and scenery) is nice there Click Here. The Civil Rights Museum is in Montgomery. I toured it in high school. It's nice.

Alabama ain't too bad if you can get over the heat.

Montgomery has a brewpub...I've actually heard decent things about it. http://montgomerybrewpub.com/

One more thing. If you wanna make a drive to Birmingham, there is actually something worth doing this weekend.....

1745_1211903225.jpg

Wow...that might be a plan! Thanks! I read that Atlanta is doing a fest this weekend as well.....

sorry to hear you are in alabama. we stopped in montgomery for gas on the way to panama city from knoxville ,tn,....and wow we pulled into a masssive ghetto, or it could've just been montgomery being montgomery. I did notice grass hardly grows in alabama. it's all dead and brown. Yep. I hate bama. GO VOLS!!!!

Back