airlocks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinper

Reaction score
These little airlocks work great for wine , beer not so good. put this Honey cream ale in the carboy at 6pm last night . This morning at 5am . checked on it .airlock was bubbling but getting gunked up . So figured take off and clean. lifted plug and got puked on. Does losing all this stuff hurt anything.. same thing happened on my 1st batch. My fermenting starts real quick.

doors 004.jpg

The picture is after I changed out the 2-chamber airlock . you can see in 10 min. Its starting to fill the one gallon bottle ,no way to get that stuff back in when fermenting like crazy

You might want to get a larger carboy or a 6.5 gallon bucket fermentor as beer will create a krausen (the gunk you are referring to that is coming out of the fermentor) during the most active part of fermentation (the beginning). Using a blowoff tube is good practice though since you are forced to use the smaller carboy for now and will aid in clearer beer as the krausen that is being created would ultimately just drop to the bottom after fermentation anyway. No harm no foul carry on.

Ohh good I started with 5 gallons , after boil was short about a gallon and I added it . thinking like wine you dont want to leave any air gap . could i leave it short and add the water after a day or 2?

Back