Airlocks and Secondaries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaredriesel

Reaction score
Hey there,

So, I currently have a batch in a secondary carboy, and I wanted to brew another today. I only have one airlock at the moment, which is attached to the secondary. Do I need to go pick up a second airlock so I can put a new batch in the primary, or can I put something else on the secondary to keep it safe?

Sorry for the newb question. Looking forward to the hefe I'm gonna brew though :mug:

You can plug the secondary bung with a bolt or something. Just vent it every day or so.

A long term solution would be to buy another 1 dollar airlock on the next LHBS trip or online order.

chillHayze said:
A long term solution would be to buy another 1 dollar airlock on the next LHBS trip or online order.
I'd suggest buying several airlocks at your next opportunity. You can't have too many :) I have two fermentors and a 1/2 gal. growler I use for yeast starters, and I have airlocks for each plus a couple spares.

MariaAZ said:
I'd suggest buying several airlocks at your next opportunity. You can't have too many :) I have two fermentors and a 1/2 gal. growler I use for yeast starters, and I have airlocks for each plus a couple spares.

I second that suggestion. Ya can't have too many airlocks.

I am all about easy...why not just use alum foil over the opening...I secondary (When I secondary) in carboys and wrap aluminum foil over the opening. No issues that I know of

Sean

It's a little hard to sleep at night when using foil alone. Go with the blow-off tube if you have some spare tubing and a short lenght of old plastic racking cane -until you get another lock.

Use your tubing that you use for racking and bottling as a blowoff tube... it essentially works the same way as an airlock...

I would agree that you can't have too many airlocks. I have four carboys and only three airlocks, so I'm picking up at least one more with my next recipe from the LHBS. I'm also going to get one of those fancy pants carboy caps, I think, and see how that works.

Latest posts

Back