Airlock working?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drama

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch today, and I submerged my airlock in sanitizer and then set it in the fermenting carboy, but only one side is filled with liquid.

Is that correct or did something go wrong?

AND does this make sense haha?

Thanks!

The airlock that fits on top of the fermenting carboy that should bubble when the yeast starts fermenting.

I wasn't sure if both sides of the airlock should be full of liquid because only one side of mine is. I'll take a photo and post a link tomorrow for clarification.

I think the question was: Was it and 'S' shape (single piece), or a straight airlock with a cap.

If it's an 'S', don't worry. All you need is some sanitizer between the wort and the outside air.

If it is not an 'S' type airlock, I have no idea what you are talking about.

The airlock that fits on top of the fermenting carboy that should bubble when the yeast starts fermenting.

I wasn't sure if both sides of the airlock should be full of liquid because only one side of mine is. I'll take a photo and post a link tomorrow for clarification.

there are i think 3 type of airlocks. S airlocks,3 piece, and a blow off tube- which is a hose attached to a plug hole or end of a 3 piece that ends into a jug of sanitizer solution. If this helps.
If you have a s airlock there is a water line if you look closley.same with a 3 piece airlock. Hope this helps. Good luck.Your momma cant dance and your daddy dont rock n roll,what?

It is an s airlock. Only one of the tubes is filled with sanitizer and it is bubbling now. Do you take off the plastic cover on top of it? I left that on...

You're working with a retard guys :)

Edit:

I am watching Northern Brewer's DVD and their airlock is doing the same thing while fermenting -- one side is filled and bubbling and they have the little plastic cover on their airlock.

Thanks for the help -- next time I'll do more investigating if I have an issue then ask!

Latest posts

Back