Airlock to corny for fermenting and (no-)chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Like others that ferment in corny kegs, I use foam control drops, remove the gas post fitting, and clamp a blow-off tube directly on the gas post threads. But after the yeast have calmed, or if I transfer to a secondary corny for dry-hopping, I prefer an airlock. The easiest, cheapest way I've found to use one is to turn a size 7 (standard) drilled carboy stopper upside down, press and turn it over the gas post threads, and then insert the airlock.

8491374860_8a68205a1d.jpg

I also used this method in a no-chill brew to keep bacteria out as the wort cools and sucks air in, and was wondering what people think about the effectiveness of this. I know corny kegs are built to seal with internal pressure, but with keg lub and a decent fitting lid it seems like this setup would alleviate pressure enough that you wouldn't get air coming in around the lid. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back