Airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I made a mead recently (01-02-14) and I'm pretty sure that airlock activity doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but I just want to make sure.

Here is the process below. Does everything seem ok?

STEP 1 [DAY ONE]

Stir together 1 gallon of spring water + 3 lbs. of Raw & unfiltered Honey into fermenting bucket. Inoculate (I used WLP720). I didn't use a starter. Just used what was in the tube.

Add 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient (made by Brewcraft).

Set aside in 70-75 degree room.

--THE NEXT DAY--

STEP 2 [DAY TWO]

Open up the fermenting bucket lid and stir with sanitized spoon. Then put in 1/2 teaspoon of Yeast energizer (made by Brewcraft) and stir some more.

STEP 3

Sit back and let the beauty of fermentation work it's magic!

When I first put in the yeast, the airlock was bubbling maybe once every 30 seconds. So, it's been four days and earlier today the airlock was bubbling once every 55 seconds. Then I checked again today and it was bubbling every 35 seconds.

I was expecting much more activity. I didn't take an SG reading because I don't have a hydrometer. My plan was to just let it sit in primary fermentation for 3 weeks and then transfer it into a one gallon jug to age.

To avoid stressing the yeast during their growth phase, it is important to provide them with the oxygen they need. Aerate the Must a couple of times a day for the first three days by using an aeration stone, shaking, or stirring with a Lees stirrer.

I just read this on another website. Should I start shaking the fermenting bucket everyday?

I also read this:

As soon as it slows to approximately 1 bubble every 30 seconds, it is ready to move onto the next stage – Racking.

Mine is bubbling once every 30 or more seconds, but I'm pretty sure it's not done.

I'm a bit confused. what does everybody think?

Wow, I woke up and now it's bubbling once every 1:54 secs.

Is this a stuck ferment?

I am thinking about either taking off the airlock and shaking the hell out of the fermenting bucket for 5 minutes or going to the homebrew store and buying another tube of yeast.

Any thoughts on this?

take a gravity reading. We can then know if it's time for nutrients, or if it's finishing up. My RIS stopped bubbling after a couple days but I know it's still fermenting.

take a gravity reading. We can then know if it's time for nutrients, or if it's finishing up. My RIS stopped bubbling after a couple days but I know it's still fermenting.

This. A thousand times this. Do not trust airlock activity. Get that hydrometer a sample; hydrometers love samples. And on the up side you get a free sample to taste every time you take one. :mug:

I'm fermenting 1 gallon in a 2 gallon plastic fermenter.

So, I went to the homebrew shop today and got a hydrometer and a glass tube for the hydrometer. The glass tube in huge! Geez, I'm only making one gallon. Can I pour the sample back into the fermenter when I'm done with my reading? That's a huge loss..

So, I went to the homebrew shop today and got a hydrometer and a glass tube for the hydrometer. The glass tube in huge! Geez, I'm only making one gallon. Can I pour the sample back into the fermenter when I'm done with my reading? That's a huge loss..

I purchased a 100 ml graduated cylinder from amazon that only uses around 85 ml of fluid per reading. It is generally not recommended to pour the sample back in because of possible contamination after the sample has touched so many different surfaces.

It is generally not recommended to pour the sample back in because of possible contamination after the sample has touched so many different surfaces.

Hogwash! :)
Well, not exactly. But as long as you sanitize everything, there's not too much need to worry. Especially if the yeast is active.
Another option is to get a mini hydrometer and graduated cylinder. Much less loss and you can drink it after you take your reading.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Ok, took the hydrometer reading tonight and it's...

So, definitely nowhere near being finished! I tasted it and it was sweet and yummy.

What does everybody suggest? Just shake the hell out of the fermenter every day for a couple of days?

I think it's pretty apparent that I have a stuck fermentation.

Just want to mention something. Looks like just taking a hydrometer sample seemed to wake up the yeasties a little.

I'm counting airlock bubbles one every 19 seconds or so. That's a pretty big improvement.

I'm still unsure if this is a very slow or stuck fermentation and if I should do anything or just let it be for 3 weeks.

Thoughts?

Hogwash! :)
Well, not exactly. But as long as you sanitize everything, there's not too much need to worry. Especially if the yeast is active.
Another option is to get a mini hydrometer and graduated cylinder. Much less loss and you can drink it after you take your reading.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Lol! Different folks, different strokes. I personally don't like to risk it, and everyone does things differently. Another reason I try to brew five gallons at a time (plus I like to drink the samples :cross: ).

Just want to mention something. Looks like just taking a hydrometer sample seemed to wake up the yeasties a little. I'm counting airlock bubbles one every 19 seconds or so. That's a pretty big improvement. I'm still unsure if this is a very slow or stuck fermentation and if I should do anything or just let it be for 3 weeks. Thoughts?

Have you been aerating daily? Check the gravity again in a few days to see the progression of your mead. Good mead takes time.

I think temperature probably has a large influence on airlock activity/speed of fermentation.

This is only my second week of experimentation with brewing, but I have 4 different gallon jugs going. The fastest one is a high gravity cyser with k1-v1116, and it only bubbles once every 3-5 seconds. All the others max out at one bubble every 8-15 seconds or so. The temperature on the jugs hovers around 60-64 degrees - under a table in the corner of the house.

I imagine the people with higher fermentation rates keep their houses warmer.

This why I do 3 to 5 gallon batches..... 1 gallon doesn't seem worth the effort after gravity sampling, etc, just for a few bottles that have to age....UNLESS, of course, it's something highly experimental/out of left field and ya don't want to waste a good amount of honey on an unknown..... I've yet to make anything even remotely undrinkable, so....no 1 gal batches here...more power to y'all that have the fortitude to mess around with small amounts, as it's understandable at times

Back