Airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esoteric82

Reaction score
During our last batch of cider in secondary, the fluid in the airlock would periodically drain. How can this be prevented, or if it cannot, what should we fill the airlock with so it will not ruin or contaminate the product? We were using water with Star-San.

For the fluid to drain in to the airlock the was probably a pressure difference from something. Did the temperature change quickly? Was it a Better Bottle that was squeezed/compressed?

I usually fill my airlocks with vodka which is sterile and only boosts the ABV if it happens to get sucked through.

If you are using Starsan and water mixed to the right ratio, you don't need to worry about if any gets into your cider as it's food grade (which is why brewers use it.)

But like collitchboy said, something is causing the pressure in the carboy to drop, pulling in the fluid. Try to figure that out but don't sweat a little backflow!

Cheers.

Thanks for the responses. Collitchboy, there was no rapid difference in temperature, it was just left alone for a couple of months without really checking it. (The one good thing about Florida, though it's usually too hot!). DoctorWho, the solution was mixed to the correct ratio, so you and the guy at the LHBS are in agreement in your assessment. The guy at my LHBS also suggested that the fluid in the airlock may have evaporated. Has anyone heard of this phenomenon occurring? In any case, I have two new batches going and am keeping an eye on them. I also purchased two "S"-type airlocks to blunt this issue in the future by using them in secondary and for bulk aging, though I am still using the 3-piece airlocks for primary.

LHBS guy also said that commercial cideries use airlocks when aging. Is that true? I assumed that like wine, cider could be stored in sealed barrels.

While I don't know what commercial operations do I can say that your airlock fluid, whatever it is, can and will evaporate especially over the course of 'a couple of months'.

I am a total newbie And have only done one brew, but the thought of an airlick or too of Starsan in my brew turns me off.... I followed the folks advice on this forum and used vodka too.... Logically seemed like the smartest thing to do.... Sterile and completely drinkable.....

I'm sure Starsan would be ok but pour a shot glass full of vodka and then next to it pour a shot glass of Starsan, look at them close and make your Decision that way.... Lol

Latest posts

Back