airlock problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markhoffman

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am kinda a noon to homebrewing, so any help i get will be greatly appreciated.

two weeks ago i brewed my first IPA. The airlock was bubbling like crazy for a few days and then it quieted down.

Today as i was preparing for secondary fermentation and dry hopping, i realized there was no water in my airlock. I don't know how long ago this problem started, but is there any way to check if the beer is still good?

If i wasn't going to add more hops i would just wait it out, but it would be a pity to waste good hops on a bad beer

I have attached two pictures of the brew, do these look like a normal beer or is this what a spoiled beer looks like.

TIA

ForumRunner_20140105_130304.jpg

ForumRunner_20140105_130322.jpg

your beer looks fine to me, toss in the hops, get the lid back on, and trust your brew. if you have the ability to purge the air space with CO2 do it, but i'd be willing to bet that everything will turn out alright even if you don't. also, fill your air lock with a star san solution, or vodka, not regular water.

From the pictures, it looks fine. Some light foamy bubbles and pieces of hops. Left over krausen. Good stuff.

You've got a CO2 layer in the bucket between the wort and lid. Well, you did :p Nah, there's probably some left, and the wort tends to put off more even once fermentation has slowed way down.

Dry airlocks happen, usually with no ill consequence.

Back