Airlock filling up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttastrom

Reaction score
I'm making a fairly strong IPA, and yesterday, the second day of fermentation, I found the airlock full of wort when I checked on it. I figured I must have overfilled the airlock and this somehow caused it, so I took it out, cleaned and sanitized it, refilled it, and put it back in. Checked again today and the same thing had happened. Is it possible that because of the amount of fermentable sugars I am using, the Krausen was large enough to push out through the airlock? I've done similar recipes and never had anything like this happen. Anyone have similar experiences, and if so, do I have anything to worry about? Thanks, Travis

If your fermenter doesn't have enough head space this will happen almost every time you brew something with a high protein content or lots of hops.

I use 6.5 gallon fermenters when I'm making 5-gallon batches to prevent this if that helps.

Nothing to worry about at all. This happens. Is this a three piece airlock? Can you put a blowoff tube on?

Back