Airlock Dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrarimobile

Reaction score
Recently I was out in the garage checking on some lager I have aging for the last two months. I noticed the airlock was getting nervously close to the lowest level. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that it was not able to bubble because it was below the air holes in the lock - not totally dry, but really close to being too low (probably). It is a typical three piece lock with vodka in it (so as not to freeze) How much of a chance is there that the beer would be contaminated and therefore spoiled?

Just refill it. Beer-spoiling bacteria and wild yeast don't have legs so they can't crawl up, only fall down. Post-fermentation beer is also very difficult to infect because of the alcohol.

There's also a blanket of CO2 protecting the beer. Nothing to worry about.

Don't worry, you are probably fine. Sure it is POSSIBLE that some little critter got into your airlock, crawled under the little hat thing, up the center tube, down the the tube, and went diving into your beer screaming YIPEE!!!, but its not very PROBABLE.

RDWHAHB!:mug:

Thanks, I think the same way, but I think that I just needed a little reassurance since I've been lagering for over a month now and have 3 weeks to go before bottling.

Back