Airlock contamination question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgunn137

Reaction score
I brewed a American IPA a week ago. When I put the airlock into the fermentor I filled it with vodka. This week I noticed it(airlock) was getting low so I decided to add a little tap water. Well I ended up filling the airlock too full. I thought I could tilt the airlock a little and dump some out but some of it ended up going down into the wort through the airlock. I am worried I screwed up my whole batch of beer. Looking for any input as to what I can expect or if this has happened to anyone else.

I'm no expert... but I've accidentally spilled tap water in my primary before... and my beer turned out fine. I did't the same thing, but had sanitized water in my airlock instead of vodka.

just wait it out... IF the vodka killed was in contact with any bacteria long enough... it should have done it's job for sanitary purpose (not sure how long they were in contact...).

Don't fret it... wait until fermentation is complete. You should be fine!

Best of luck mate.

Beer's fine, unless you purposely spit into the tap water or actively tried to innoculate it with something terrible. Carry on.

I've added tap water straight into the fermenter when I came up short on volume and high on gravity. Never had a problem.

Back