Airlock/ Blowoff tube issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssyfritt

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a Russian Imperial Stout. I have had a few IPA's clog my airlock with krausen and I usually just remove, clean, re sanitize, and add a blow off. This time, after adding the blowoff, foam is rapidly coming out of the bucket, through the tube, and into the growler I am using with the blowoff tube. The water in the growler is turning black and the foam is causing the blow off to back up. The lid on the bucket is doming and air and beer is seeping out from under the edges of the lid. I'm afraid I will have a beer explosion even with the blow off... What can I do in addition to the blowoff tube?!

Put the fermentor in a tub. Pull your blow off assembly out and the grommet. Cover the bucket lid with weighted down sanitized plastic wrap. Leave an area where the krausen can escape freely. When the activity slows down reinstall the sanitized blow off assembly.

Use a larger bucket and keep the wort in the mid to low 60°s.

Ya I'm going to get an 8 gallon fermenter for the next high gravity batch. I'm using WLP2000 British ale yeast and fermenting at 72 degrees. I live in phoenix where its still mid 90's during the day so its hard to get the temp down, aside from a cold water bath. The tub with weighted plastic is a great idea.. a buddy of mine did the same brew yesterday and said he is having the same issue but told me as long as the foam continues to move through the tube, thus relieving the pressure, as often as it is then I should be ok. I'm keeping a close eye on it for now.

Thank you for your help! Cheers!

Latest posts

Back