Airlock activity in the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zman3

Reaction score
Okay I racked pikes ipa from Midwest yesterday I forgot to take a reading until the end so I got the most dense sediment buildup at the bottom and I didn't fill up the test tube to the top and the reading was to high now i'am worried I racked to some and I stalled fermentation because I am getting little activity out of the air lock but this was not a very active beer to begin with am I worrying about this way to much?

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. I think you're going to be fine. Let it sit for a couple of weeks in the secondary, put it in some bottles and enjoy it. I hardly ever get any airlock activity from the secondary.

You more than likely got activity BECAUSE you racked it....You kicked up co2, and well as offgassing the air that was in the carboy before you put it in.

Remember an airlock is a vent, not a fermentation gauge. Gasses expand and contract and move, and usually move through the airlock.

If you did restart any fermentation, then let it sit for a few weeks and it will be fine...you got time.

Latest posts

Back