Airlock activity in 2hrs after pitching!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
This has never happened with any of my other brews i Brewed a German Alt extract kit today from Northern Brewer kit came in the mail today i was off so i brewed it right away My OG was supposed 2 be 1.052 i hit that pretty spot on my reading was 1.051 so i'm pretty sure it was perfect i used dry yeast this time safale US05 and was lazy and didn't even rehydrate it just shook the wort to aerate took OG then pitched the dry yeast right on top at 70 F swirled a little to mix the yeast put airlock on the glass carboy through in brewing closet in a swamp cooler just went to check the temps 2hrs later after pitching the yeast it down to 68 F and i saw the airlock bubble what the heck can it happen that soon i'm in shock right now theres also sediment at the bottom but it looks like hop bits and what not any ideas guys THANKS

It might just be a pressure change due to wort temp change. I doubt it was a fermentation sign. Airlocks bubble for any reason including no reason.

There was this little thing in your fermenter called AIR which when you put beer into it, and snapped an airlock on it, you displaced, and the airlock is doing what it's meant to do, act as a VENT to let any EXCESS gas, be it co2, or in this case OXYGEN, out of it. Because that's what an airlock is, a vent, a valve to release excess gas, and keep the beer off the ceiling. It's not an accurate gauge of fermentation, because gas comes in many forms, such as oxygen that may be present in the solution, or gas can expand and contract due to changed in temp or barometric pressure.

Thanks guys for all the replies makes me feel better the beer looks and smells great i just never saw this before or heard of it so i was stumped i'm still a rookie but learning everyday thanks to all you fellow home brewers

Back