Air to wort "pre-chiller"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazzBarlow

Reaction score
I have a "noob" question. I'm planning my brew sculpture and I have a couple of questions.

I plan on putting a Dura-Diesel 12 inch plate chiller into the system (water to wort chiller), but I find myself in the unique position of having an abundance of 1/4 inch copper tubing. I was thinking of putting a "pre-chiller" before the plate chiller. My idea is to have a sheet aluminum tunnel with appx. 100 feet of copper tubing in a paperclip shape, then having an electric fan forcing fresh air through this tunnel. I would attach the copper tubing to the sheet aluminum to maximize the heat-sink effect (air to wort chiller). Logic says this would make wort cooling that much faster. But, practical application may prove differently.

What say you?

Great idea!?

Couldn't hurt?

Waste of time?

Most plate chillers will cool wort within a few degrees of the incoming water temp on their own. So if you have 50 degree water, it is probably not necessary. That being said, if you use a pre-chiller you can cool wort faster and to cooler temps. As far as the forced air goes, I would bend the copper to fit in a container and submerge it in ice water. It is much more efficient and if you use salt water, you can get it down below freezing (not that I recommend it). Also with the forced air option, if your water is cooler than the ambient temperature you may actually warm it up instead! With 100' of tubing, you could build 2 of them and sell one. The only other issue I can see is that 1/4" is fairly small and you might have trouble getting enough water to the chiller.

Most plate chillers will cool wort within a few degrees of the incoming water temp on their own. So if you have 50 degree water, it is probably not necessary. That being said, if you use a pre-chiller you can cool wort faster and to cooler temps. As far as the forced air goes, I would bend the copper to fit in a container and submerge it in ice water. It is much more efficient and if you use salt water, you can get it down below freezing (not that I recommend it). Also with the forced air option, if your water is cooler than the ambient temperature you may actually warm it up instead! With 100' of tubing, you could build 2 of them and sell one. The only other issue I can see is that 1/4" is fairly small and you might have trouble getting enough water to the chiller.

I'm thinking that using the air/wort chiller FIRST, then the plate chiller is not working as hard and I can cool everything faster.

the 12" duda wort chiller will more than chill your wort... I had 50* groundwater last brew day, if i wanted my wort would be 50* fast as i could pump it with my march 809. Had to slow down the water flow to a slight trickle just to get my wort to pitching temps.

I imagine when my ground water is 80* i'd like it to be a little cooler but if that is the case I'll figure out an ice loop for the incoming water.

Cool idea, but with a 12" chiller your money would be spent much better elsewhere on your brew project - trust me!

Definitely save the copper - plate chillers are super efficient and you'll find a better use for the copper elsewhere - for example a HERMS coil if you ever decide to go this route.

Back