Ain't as good as I once was...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head7l

Reaction score
So I decided (last minute on Sunday) to brew a Belgian Tripel kit that I had laying around. This is my 5th brew so while I am new I am not totally new.

Anyway, I am having nice little brew session and am just cooking away when I realize that I don't have a hydrometer with me. I look around, look some more, and it is nowhere. I figure I'll be ok without it. If everything goes to hell I will end up with beer.

I transfer to primary and throw the lid and airlock. Monday I leave for work and start thinking..."there's a ton of sugary goodness in there. Maybe I should have gotten a blow off tube first." So I call SWMBO at home and ask what the airlock looks like. She says that it is just bubbly but not crazy.

So I forget the whole thing until about 7pm last night when I hear a (wait for it)...Kaboom. So now I am furiously trying to come up with a blowoff tube without having any equipment to do it. In the end, I put the lid back on and reinstalled the airlock (due to heat from the boss for the mess).

Probably an hour after that whole fiasco the bubbles just quit (Nottingham Yeast). Is that fairly normal? The beer stuff not my ineptitude.

I had to use some of the tubing from my bottling wand the first time that happened to me.:cross:

I think nottingham works pretty fast but I'm not sure how fast, I've only used it once.

Please take pictures next time. I know it is hard in the heat of the moment, especially with swmbo giving you hell at the same time. But you need to think of the fine folks here at HBT :)

Yeah...I get the pics idea now. Not sure I would have survived if I had said..."hey babe...can you hold this dripping lid for a sec while I run and get the camera for the HBT guys?" Woulda been a good story though.

The Notty was part of the Brewer' Best Belgian Tripel kit.

The Notty was part of the Brewer' Best Belgian Tripel kit.
Then it's not a Tripel. Or Belgian anything for that matter. Not w/ out a proper yeast strain. What you'll have is most likely a strong pale or dark ale of some sort. It depends upon what ingredients were in the kit. Nevertheless, it'll still be beer.:)

Notty can ferment pretty fast, but I'd give it 2-3 extra days. And get a hydrometer and take a reading!;)

Back