AHS versus Morebeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never ordered from either. But I was looking at the 7.99 flat rate shipping at AHS ... does this really apply to everything ... even bulk grain?

Bulk grain is one of those items that if you want it cheap, you need to find a local source. AHS bulk grain is pretty pricey considering the delivered price, B3 bulk grain is going to be expensive too if you have to ship it but if you were local, it is $32 for 50lbs of Great Western 2-row. Hard to beat that price when you are only buying 50lbs. The point is if you want to pay less than about .70c/lb you will probably need to find something local unless you want to buy a pallets worth.

Bulk grain is one of those items that if you want it cheap, you need to find a local source. AHS bulk grain is pretty pricey considering the delivered price, B3 bulk grain is going to be expensive too if you have to ship it but if you were local, it is $32 for 50lbs of Great Western 2-row. Hard to beat that price when you are only buying 50lbs. The point is if you want to pay less than about .70c/lb you will probably need to find something local unless you want to buy a pallets worth.

But if I ordered a bag of grain from More Berer to be shipped to Austin the $32for the grain plus about $30 for shipping would be pricey too. Yes, I know you are saying the same thing but you are comparing my delivered price with a walk in price and saying mine is pricey.

You should buy the ingredients where you get the best price for you but you have to consider delivered price when you are comparing.

Forrest

Exactly. Get your grain locally, as shipping will always be the killer. Plus you are keeping your local guys in business, which is good for all.

But if I ordered a bag of grain from More Berer to be shipped to Austin the $32for the grain plus about $30 for shipping would be pricey too. Yes, I know you are saying the same thing but you are comparing my delivered price with a walk in price and saying mine is pricey.

You should buy the ingredients where you get the best price for you but you have to consider delivered price when you are comparing.

Forrest

I too think we said the same thing ;)

Yes, I know you are saying the same thing but you are comparing my delivered price with a walk in price and saying mine is pricey.

Forrest

See above.

Forrest

Didn't read through the whole thread but if you buy 50 dollars worth of merch you get free shipping with moorebeer. You guys have without a doubt a much much better selection on kits but sometimes saving 8 bucks is saving 8 bucks, depending on the beer you want to brew...

I just finished 5 gallons of your pumpkin ale and it was awesome...:mug:

Didn't read through the whole thread but if you buy 50 dollars worth of merch you get free shipping with moorebeer.

1. It's $59 shipping for free, not $50.

2. Sacks of grain and some other items don't qualify for free shipping.

3. You can search the thread if you suspect it was mentioned.

I pay $18 to get a sack shipped to Nevada, so it's still cheaper for me or anyone on the west coast to get a 2-row or pale sack at morebeer vs. AHS(or anyone else). Anything over 50 lbs. incurrs significant shipping costs, which vary by distance. It's where you live and where the store is when buying bulk.

Is this the thread where we post random things we hate about the world, retail, and beer making in general? ObamaCare scares me, Forrest keeps coming up with new ways to take my money, and I can't figure out how to get TINY bubbles in my beer.

-OCD

1. It's $59 shipping for free, not $50.

2. Sacks of grain and some other items don't qualify for free shipping.

3. You can search the thread if you suspect it was mentioned.

I pay $18 to get a sack shipped to Nevada, so it's still cheaper for me or anyone on the west coast to get a 2-row or pale sack at morebeer vs. AHS(or anyone else). Anything over 50 lbs. incurrs significant shipping costs, which vary by distance. It's where you live and where the store is when buying bulk.

1. Regardless if it was mentioned they do offer free shipping AHS does not.

2. If your worried about shippings costs when buying bulk consider getting a group buy like i have seen so many times on this MB and others.

3. I did skim over the thread and buying bulk was mentioned but not explained indepth as you did.

4. Regardless the thread was a discussion on AHS vs Moorbeer. Since I never buy in bulk That's not an issue with me. Moorebeer is CHEAPER for basic beer styles while AHS has recipe clones and an overall better selection.

For clarification, everything on our website qualifies for the flat rate shipping. Northern Brewer (NB) and More Beer (MB or B3) charges full shipping charges for thier bulk grain while Austin Homebrew (AHS, AHBS, AHB, Forrest's store, etc) only charges a flat rate for everything.

Just think of it as $7.99 shipping for the first item and free shipping on the rest of your order. It might help for people to think about it that way.

Forrest

Forrest is correct, I confirmed that NB charges full shipping on bulk grain. Their MO is also more expensive, pre-shipping, then Midwest is w/ shipping. I am looking forward to their store opening in two weeks in Milwaukee, but it may not be the bonanza for bulk grain I had hoped.

If I'm in Southern California is Morebeer my best option for bulk grain? They're only about 20 minutes from my in-laws, so I'll be unfortunate enough to shoot over to their store every once in a while.

Not sure why the first kit I got from them didn't have a grain bag. I called. Where is the bag ? We don't include in the kit ..it is $0.77 extra

How should I brew the beer, then? I ask ,,,after all, this is a KIT - right ?? Instead of apologizing and saying he wld be happy to send a sack, he told me I must have something around the house that I cld use .

Grain bags are reusable, so I understand not needing one in each kit, but they should make that abundantly clear in the description.

It is indeed made abundantly clear with every one of their kits what is supplied and what is not. One need only read the kit description when ordering.

As far as shipping is concerned it is always a matter of proximity and need. I would order from Austin if the delivered price was cheaper and the product did not have to come half way across the country (this is purely based on my current needs). I am sure those who live in Mountain or Central time would find it better to get from Austin.
So far I have been satisfied with morebeer but I appreciate Forrest's presence here.

if you're buying bulk at morebeer and not Austin you're forgetting that AHS ships for 8 dollars.

the free shipping at morebeer is very rarely worth your time.

Oh, sorry. If you would like PM me with a couple of examples, I'm more than happy to check them out and see what prices could be adjusted, if we can. But blanket statements like these are all over this forum, and are just not true.

I love these threads...

Where is the popcorn?

Uhhhh...what???

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm a morebeer customer. I've been extremely happy with every purchase I've made. For my purposes, I've chosen to stick with morebeer unless they don't have something I need. I've never ordered from Austin and so can't realistically make a recommendation, but they have an excellent selection and a reputation to match (peanuts or no!).

Now, on to the specific question at hand: I order malt syrup (among other things) from morebeer. It has always been fresh and excellent. Their specialty grains and yeasts have always served me well...not a dud once. Three or four portions of malt sypup (packed in excellent, strong, resealable mylar/plastic laminate bags) plus a few odds and ends always goes over $59 for me, and the order shipped gratis always arrives within a week. The price is every bit as good as the quality. So how is it not worth it, I must ask?

I love these threads...

Where is the popcorn?

Yeah, I am finding this amusing too! I am also thoroughly happy that we have such a wide variety of good suppliers and we need to pick on things such as packing peanuts and what ships cheapest to where.

Forrest, as a note, on very large orders I have seen some retailers put the peanuts in a bag over the items. Let's face it, shipped items are always at the bottom and the peanuts are on top anyway. Thiis makes dealing with the peanuts easier on the receiving end. The other option is to weigh the cost of inventorying one or two more in between box sizes versus the cost of the packing peanuts to fill a larger box.

I laughed, I had a (non-homebrew) retailer just ship a couple small items to me in an 18" cube box with a whole load of peanuts! The box could have been as small as say 3X3X10 (or whatever standard size is closest).

Now that both of these vendors have graciously made themselves available to us, let's honor their requests to use phone call, email and direct messages before opening up threads.

Each of our vendors and retailers have a procedure for communication, you should consult with them first.

I'm closing this thread until or unless the OP, bhatchable, PMs me a compelling reason to keep it open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back