AHS Session Kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoundlingOfDollar

Reaction score
Just saw the "session" section of kits on AHS's page a couple of days ago. The product descriptions are all the same for each kit, and not overly informative. The prices though are enticing. $25.49 extract, $18.49 for all grain before yeast. Anyone know what is going on with these kits? Has anyone brewed them? Are they just beers with lower grain bills? Are they hazily amended (I see malt dextrine on the ingredient list, but just 1/2 lb)? I mostly brew bigger and heavier brews, so it might be a good idea to crank out a few cheaper lighter beers for hot summer days in Austin.

I would love to hear the experience of someone who brewed one of these.

session beers = lower ABV. Usually this means less grain. Doesn't neccessarily mean less taste. Can't speak for AHS kits, but I brew a lot of session english ales and find the "session" beers quite tastey

Lower ABV beers, not as many fermentables, and they use maltodextrin to help build body. I brewed the Coffee Stout and liked it. It really comes down to what you want.

They are not "hazily amended," IMO :). 1/2 pounds maltodextrin is enough; I wouldn't expect more.

ADD: if you like big beers, maybe brew one of these and use it as a full batch starter (i.e., re-use the yeast cake).

McGarnigle said:
Lower ABV beers, not as many fermentables, and they use maltodextrin to help build body. I brewed the Coffee Stout and liked it. It really comes down to what you want.

They are not "hazily amended," IMO :). 1/2 pounds maltodextrin is enough; I wouldn't expect more.

ADD: if you like big beers, maybe brew one of these and use it as a full batch starter (i.e., re-use the yeast cake).

Hazily amended... Hooray for iPad text prediction! Ugh.

I am glad to hear a good review from a member though. Reviews on the AHS site were pretty mixed. I don't have anything that could be described as light and refreshing in my fridge, plus a cheap kit like this might be the right place to being working on my AG skills as I have only been doing extract with steep in grains so far.

I have brewed three session series kits. If you choose carefully, they're tasty beer at a great price. The only one people complained about was the brown Porter. It was an extract kit and people thought it was a bit thin. The other two I've brewed are lighter beers like pale ales. They are lower gravity and have been good quaffers. I'm all grain now, but AHS does a great job. Give a lighter bodied one a try regardless of your brewing setup. I think you'll like it.

The only one people complained about was the brown Porter. It was an extract kit and people thought it was a bit thin.

I brewed the Session Brown Porter all-grain kit and it was one of the best beers I've ever brewed. So much so, I stole the recipe and have brewed it twice again.

I brewed the Session Brown Porter all-grain kit and it was one of the best beers I've ever brewed. So much so, I stole the recipe and have brewed it twice again.

Agreed - I personally didn't have a problem with it, some of my pickier friends did. :)

I just shared that feedback to outline that most of the session kits I've brewed have been 100% well-received, and the only feedback I ever got was the "thin" comment on the brown porter.

Also, I was extract then so that might have been a contributor to the perception as well. The other two I've brewed were all grain.

I'm glad you responded, because I may just buy the all grain brown porter and brew it up!

Great! I'll give these a try to save some money and work on switching to AG. I've been itching to brew up a porter lately.

Man, speaking of dark beers: I had that Dark Oatmeal Stout from Breckenridge (i think that's right, it's got a smiling moon-face-guy on the label) and it was IN-FREAKIN-CREDIBLE! I'll be trying my hand at a nice coconut-chocolate porter for my next beer. Maybe this coming weekend!

I just finished the American Brown all grain biab. Hit my temps and gravities perfectly( more or less). Should be ready to go sept 1

I'm brewing the Northwest Special (Extract w/ specialty) kit today. I'll update down the line to see how it looks. So far, quality packaging, clear directions, and prompt service from my first order with AHS. This will be my "light" option on the 3 beers I'm doing as Xmas presents. (I give away 6'ers to the guys).

[edit] DOH! Shoulda read my directions better. all 1oz of Cascade were packaged together. I needed to split it down for the recipe. I wasn't paying attention and just dumped it all in. Ah well. [\edit]

I'm brewing the Northwest Special (Extract w/ specialty) kit today. I'll update down the line to see how it looks. So far, quality packaging, clear directions, and prompt service from my first order with AHS. This will be my "light" option on the 3 beers I'm doing as Xmas presents. (I give away 6'ers to the guys).

[edit] DOH! Shoulda read my directions better. all 1oz of Cascade were packaged together. I needed to split it down for the recipe. I wasn't paying attention and just dumped it all in. Ah well. [\edit]

How did this NW Special Session beer turn out? I just ordered it from AHS and am excited to brew it.

Back