AHS Pumpkin Ale - Mini Mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JScott02

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm preparing to brew the Pumpkin Ale Mini Mash kit from AHS. The instructions say to put the grain bag into a strainer after the initial soak of 45 min's and pour 170 degree water over the grain bag at a ratio of 1 quart of water to 2lbs of grain. My question is, do you include the 3 - 4 lbs of pumpkin in this calculation, or just the grains? Thanks!

-Jim

I assume you mashed the pumpkin along with the grain? In that case, you'd usually add the weight of the pumpkin in the calculation as long doing so doesn't cause your boil volume to exceed what you can handle.

I have read that putting the fruit, or the like, you get more flavor if added to the secondary. I want to experience Pumpkin. Anyone agree with introducing in secondary?

You'll end up with a bunch of unconverted starches in your beer if you add the pumpkin to the secondary. That's not necessarily bad - it's a matter of preference.

I bought this all grain kit from AHS. I used 4 lbs. of canned pumpkin, spread it on 2 cookie sheets and baked it for an hour and a half and then added it to the boil. Make sure you you have a good screen to to filter out the pumpkin after the boil or secondary. I taste the pumpkin at the very end of the beer, I like it alot I might make another batch before the end of fall.

Latest posts

Back